Weekly Newsletter - Week of September 29, 2014
SchoolNet Blues? It may be your browser ...
Make sure you are using the most up-to-date Mozilla FireFox.
- Go to www.mozilla.org
- Click on the Free Download button. (it’s green)
- If you are using Internet Explorer: When the screen prompts you, select RUN the file.
- If you are using FireFox: When the screen prompts you, select Save File. Then, click on the downward arrow at the top right hand side of the screen. Click on Firefox Setup.
- Follow the Setup prompts to install FireFox.
Teaching and Learning has also created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). It can be found at Curriculum Central.
Student Learning Objectives (SLO's) and Professional Development Plans (PDP's) Due October 1, 2014
Each teacher will participate in a goal-setting conference by October 1st of each year. Late hires and employees transferring into teacher positions after October 1st will participate in a goal-setting conference within 15 instructional days from the hire or transfer date. During the goal-setting conference, the teacher and primary evaluator discuss and develop the teacher’s Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) and Professional Development Plan (PDP).
Professional Development Plans
- There is not a specific rubric for the Professional Development Plan (PDP). It is not a scored component in the TEI process. In the PDP, teachers need to select two areas to address. At least one (1) Professional Development area in Domain 2 (Instructional Practice). The other can be over any area.
- For the one-page description of PDP requirements, click here.
- For the one-page list of TEI Domains, click here.
- Administrators MUST APPROVE the PDP's on SchoolNet. Click Educator Development and Select Professional Development Plans. You should see your teachers and have the ability to approve or request revisions.
Student Learning Objectives
- Though most of the SLO access issues have been addressed on SchoolNet, there are still the rare exceptions. In these cases, the teacher that is missing the Student Learning Objective function needs to submit a ticket to Remedy Force stating that they are missing the SLO function and request the electronic form to submit.
- Should a teacher use an electronic copy of the SLO form, you may conduct their goal-setting conference using that. Make sure you document this and have them email the electronic form AND the Excel Scoring Sheet. The teacher will still need to enter the SLO into SchoolNet once they gain access.
It is time for each campus to submit their Teacher Focus Group Representatives for the 2014-15 School Year. High schools submit three (3) teachers. Elementary and Middle Schools will submit two(2) teachers.
Leveling and Class Size Waivers for 2014-2015
Leveling is underway and the associated requirement to address Class Size Waivers this year is here. All personnel changes must be in Chancery to be reflected in the class size analysis required by the TEA.
The requirement is that no classroom may exceed a 22:1 student/teacher ratio. Please recall that TAs and other non-certified personnel may not be used to fulfill the 22:1 requirement; only certified teachers may be used.
If a school is rated Improvement Required, that school is not eligible to apply for a CSW according to TEA guidelines.
A letter was released from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for the purpose of summarizing several statutes related to attendance, admission, enrollment records and tuition. Included in the statutes addressed is Section 25.092 of the Texas Education Code (TEC), commonly referred to as “the 90 percent rule.” This provision of law sets a condition of minimum attendance for class credit and, as it may impact credit accrual for migrant children, this letter may be of particular interest to school district staff where our state’s migrant children are served.
The attendance committee should be meeting at least once a marking period to intervene and/or support students at risk of being denied credit due to attendance.
Tuesday, September 30:
- Class-size Waiver reports will be run. Schedules must be changed on Chancery.
Wednesday, October 1:
- Goal-Setting Conference regarding SLO/PDP must be conducted.
- Principal's Focus Group @ Haskell [Time: 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm]
Friday, October 3:
- High School Data Meeting: Conrad, WT White, Samuell, Roosevelt, M Angelou @ Conrad [Time: 8:00 am to 11:00 am]
- Samuell Elementary School Data meeting (Group 1): Adams, Blanton, Hawthorne @ Blanton [Time: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm]
- First Six Weeks Ends
On the Horizon - Month of October
Review student enrollment data (special populations coding, etc.) prior to PEIMS snapshot data
Accountability: PBMAS – SpEd, MLEP, CATE
Teacher growth plans, if needed
RtI based on 1st six-weeks grades
Begin first round of probationary staff evaluations
Complete emergency drills and maintain log
Ensure all At-Risk students have a personal growth plan (PGP) on file
Review implementation of AIPs
Review student discipline dataFinalize plans for November 10 PD