Tech & Media Mashup
Edition 6- December 2015
Digital Citizenship Curriculum
Hour of Code
- code.org (lots of coding tutorials for the students to complete--best for grades 3-5)
- Scratch Jr. (app)
- Lightbot (app)
- Daisy the Dinosaur (app)
- The Foos (app and on web browser)
BrainPop is Here!
- Go to Brainpop.com
- Go to the top where it says Enter Code and enter this: VSKJ5339
- Next enter in your information on the registration page.
- Check your email for your account activation link.
- Copy and paste the link into your browser to activate your account. (The text on your email may look strange, but just copy and paste the link and it will work.)
- Now you can log in and begin creating your class.
DE Spotlight: Virtual Field trips
How would you like to be able to give your students authentic learning experiences beyond the walls of the classroom, in some of the world's most famous locations, without any budget restraints? Well, you can do that with Discovery Educations Virtual Field Trips!
I would love to join your class for these trips and/or help you plan them. Just let me know!
You can search virtual field trips by subject, grade level, or theme. Here are just a few examples:
- Connect With Weather: Virtual Field Trip With Meteorologist Mark Elliot
- Kilimanjaro Expedition
- A Virtual Field Trip From the Museum of Science
- North America: Meet the Animals
- Education Station: Pearl Valley Farm
Follow this link to find out more!
From Mrs. Sloop...
Coming very soon to a media center near you!
As part of our renovations last year, the computer tables were refurbished to provide workspace for this type of learning. Our goal is to start with an introductory space that includes Legos, Duct Tape creations, a Makey Makey invention kit, and even just plain craft type supplies. We hope to even have materials that could be checked out for whole classes to use.
So as we come back from Christmas break and start getting our makerspace up and going, you may see all kinds of learning, doing and making going on in the media center. And yes, this is a new concept for us. But we're excited and eager to meet the challenges that have been set before us by Dr. Moody and out district leaders.