Typical Work Activities
- assessing needs and abilities, and monitoring sport performance and behavior
- implementing strategies to help the client overcome difficulties
- working with a multidisciplinary team including other psychologists, nutritionists, GPs, coaches and physiologists
- conducting and applying research in sport or exercise psychology
1. Sports psychologists are not bound to work with only professional athletes, and within this growing field, psychology graduates and professionals can look forward to a broader range of employment opportunities.
2. Yogi Berra, the legendary baseball great, was known to once say, "Baseball is 90% mental"
3. The first sports psychology lab was made in 1920 in Berlin
They can earn $60,000 to$80,000 a year; the highest salaries can exceed $100,000 annually.
Sport psychology - inside the mind of champion athletes: Martin Hagger at TEDxPerth
- Sports psychologist work with high level athletes daily. Many of them dealing with severe injuries. Keeping a high level athlete not playing a sport they love can negatively affect them mentally. It's the psychologist job to make sure they keep them calm and walk them through the steps it takes to get better, and that they can do it.