UTTARAKHAND UNDER WATER
DONE BY : AVIELLA , CHAARULATHA , ASHWIKA AND NIRANJANA
A DISASTER IN UTTARAKHAND..............
Steps taken by the government
to their respective destinations. Helping people rebuild their lives was the biggest challenge for the Uttarakhand government - in fact, for the whole country.
STEPS TAKEN BY LOCAL COMMITTEES .
Non-Governmental Organizations have undertaken projects to help out the victims, aimed at collecting and sending urgent relief materials (rice, pulses, biscuits, blankets, woolens, sanitary napkins, utensils, torches batteries, candles, bottles etc.) and essential medicines (Betadine, First Aid kits, Hydrogen Peroxide and vitamins).
- One such NGO is Goonj, which has started an operation “Rahat Floods”. Anyone can help them in money or in kind.
- Another organization is Uday Foundation. They have initiated their Uttarakhand Relief Operation.
- NGO Pragya has also launched a relief operation for the victims of the flashflood in Chamoli, Uttarkashi and Pithoragarh districts in Uttarakhand, Kinnaur district in Himachal Pradesh.
REASONS FOR THE DISASTER
- From 14 to 17 June 2013 Uttrakhand and the near by states received heavy rainfall.
- The rainfall was above benchmark which is 375%
- A multi-day cloud burst, centered on the state Uttrakhand caused devastating floods and landslides.
- Due to continues rain, the Chorabari Glacier melted and this triggered the flooding of the Mandakini river. which led to heavy flood near Gobindghat, Kedar Dome, Rudraprayag district , Uttrakhand.
- The true causes of epic tragedy is growth of tourism, unchecked rapid increase of roads, hotels, shops and multistory housing in ecologically fragile areas and unplanned construction are the reason for landslides
- Also rapid growth of hydroelectricity dams that disrupt water balances and this also triggered the action of the disaster.
DEFORESTATION is also one of the most important factor of Uttrakhand disaster which cause frequently landslides.