Miss Kinney's 2nd Grade Clas
February 5, 2016
Global School Play Day
Gravity, Friction, & Forces and Motion!
Today 2nd graders participated in 3 activities in the gym!
- Students learned more about gravity by building our very own marble drop! Students used paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, and wrapping paper rolls to create a track for the marble. They did a super job!
- Students learned more about friction, by making a hypothesis about which material would make the best ice skates (recycled paper, wax paper, or lamination film). Ask your child which he/she thought made the best ice skates and why!
- Last, students raced their homemade cars! We learned a lot about what made certain cars move more quickly than others! Congratulations to Cash, Michael, Rylie, and Moukthika's group for making a car that was the fastest in our class!
Food 4 Souls Donation Drive
The cafeteria will be trying some new menu items for the months of February and March.
Feb. 12 & March 4: “Big Daddy” CHEESE Pizza (Friday) (In place of Cheese Pizza)
Feb 18 & March 10: Mozzarella Pull Aparts (Thursday) (In place of Cheese/pepp pizza bites)
Feb 29 & March 21: Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Monday) (In place of Beef Soft Tacos)
March 3 & 24: Cornbread (Thursday) (In place of pretzel)
Family S.T.E.A.M night!
Yearbooks are on sale!
Yearbook orders are due by March 16, 2016. The cost of the yearbook is $16 per book. We encourage you to place an order on the website: www.inter-state.com/yearbook. Enter in the code 03573P to place an order. All yearbooks ordered online, will be shipped to TCE. Checks should be made out to Thorpe Creek Elementary. Happy ordering!
Pennies for Patients
Thorpe Creek Elementary students will be taking part in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Pennies for Patients program from February 1-12. During this program, students will collect money to support LLS’s mission: to find cures and ensure access to treatments for blood cancer patients. Students will learn about service, leadership, philanthropy and how they can make a difference by changing patients’ lives. TCE has its own online giving page that students, parents and faculty can share with friends and family: http://events.lls.org/pages/in/ThorpeCreekElementarySchool
Thank you in advance for helping LLS to create a world without blood cancers!
For more information on the Pennies for Patients program, please visit http://www.studentseries.org/
Activities for next week:
Feb. 8th –12th bring in more spare change throughout the week
Mark your Calendar!
- February 5th- Family STEAM Night
- February 12th- Valentine's Day Party
- February 15th-No School-Presidents Day
- February 16th- No School-Flex Day
Specials For next week
Monday 2/8- Day 5: Art
Tuesday 2/9- Day 6: P.E.
Wednesday 2/10- Day 1: Music
Thursday 2/11- Day 2: Art
Friday 2/12 Day 3: P.E.
Class Library Checkout!
Our next class library checkout day will be Friday, February 12th, but remember your child may bring his/her books back at anytime. We will find a time for him/her to visit the library individually to get new books!
We are Learning...
We will continue our study of nonfiction texts. We will be learning the difference between fact and opinion, and when each is appropriate.
We will continue learning about fractions! We will dive deeper into equivalent fractions and mixed fractions!
*Next week's math homework will be workbook page 9-2!
We will begin our nonfiction writing unit! YAY we are finally done with paragraphs!!!
We will continue our unit of forces and motion. We will be investigating the motion of objects when they are acted upon by forces such as gravity and magnetism.
Word study in 2nd grade includes spelling, phonics, and vocabulary development. We will be focusing on 11 new vocabulary words. Those words are: friction, motion, speed, force, zig-zag, position, direction, gravity, magnetism, attract, and repel.