By Kaylynn Jamieson
- a 1928 American animated short film directed by Walt Disney
- the cartoon is considered the debut of Mickey Mouse and his girlfriend Minnie
- Walt was inspired to make Mickey a sound character
- In 1998 the film was selected for preservation in the United States' National Film Registry for being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."
- On November 21, Variety Magazine published a review which read in part "Not the first animated cartoon to be synchronized with sound effects, but the first to attract favorable attention.