March 5th - 9th
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Staff enjoyed a wonderful professional development day on 2/19. Workshops focused on building respectful and inclusive schools, additional training on literacy instruction, grade-level team collaboration and more!
- Harper's Open House was amazing! Thank you for making this event a priority in your child's educational life. Students truly value this evening and showing you their daily environment and work/projects that they have completed. We also LOVE seeing alum! It was wonderful seeing previous students and hearing about their new and amazing adventures.
- Staff Appreciation Week was SO wonderful! Thank you for the beautiful flowers, yummy food, K-cups and more! We all felt very appreciated.
- Social work update: I have filled our social work position for the remainder of the school year. I am pleased to say that we have two excellent social workers that will job share the position. Mrs. Pam Mark will work with students on M/Tu/Th and Mrs. Jennifer Kaplan will work with students on W/F. I am now beginning the search for a full-time social worker/psychologist for the 2018-19 school year.
- The District 39 Board of Education met on February 26, 2018, and the meeting highlights are now available.
- The New Trier Innovation & Tech Expo is a free event for parents to attend and hear about how technology is being used throughout the township. All New Trier Township schools will be participating in this joint mini-conference taking place Saturday, April 28, 2018. It will be held at New Trier Winnetka Campus, 385 Winnetka Avenue, Winnetka, IL, from 8:30am to 12pm.
- Don't forget that placement letters are due prior to spring break.
Don’t Miss Out on Summer Enrichment Classes! There is still time to register! Registration will be open until March 9, 2018!
Cyber Safety Presentations
For the first time, our D39 Elementary schools are joining together to give you an opportunity to gain insight on keeping your child safe online. We are all facing challenges as we raise our children in an age where the social rules of technology are changing almost daily. Please join us for a presentation that is specific to navigating our younger children through the world online.
We are offering both a daytime and an evening meeting for your convenience!
Wednesday, March 7th at 7pm in the Central Elementary School Auditorium
Wednesday, March 21st at 9am in the Harper Elementary School Auditorium
These General PTA/PTO Meetings are open to any D39 parent with kids in grades K-4.
Our presenter is Tony DeMonte, Director of Technology and Media Services for District 39.
Topics to be discussed are:
• Creating boundaries with mobile devices
• Potentially dangerous apps
• Social media
• Inappropriate content
There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. We are delighted to offer this open meeting with Tony,TWICE! So carpool over with some friends for an evening at Central School or a morning at Harper and let’s get this conversation started.
- Does your child have a March Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- Show your Harper spirit! Every Friday is Spirit Day (unless otherwise noted) so please encourage your children to come to school wearing their Harper gear. Go Harper Dolphins!
- 3/16--Kohl's Children's Museum presents "Water Investigations" to Kindergarteners.
- Through 3/20--1st grade yoga program led by Lisa Weber
Kindergarten Enrichment: On March 16th Kohl Children's Museum will be coming to Harper to present Kindergarteners with a hands-on, in-classroom experience called "Water Investigations". Each class with spend 45 mins with the educators investigating various tools and methods to move water. Thank you to iGNITE for providing this opportunity!
- Link to community events: http://www.wilmette39.org/news/community_events/
Attend the Illinois Baseball Academy and Chicago Cubs Jon Lester’s NVRQT "Never Quit” charity event at the Wilmette Movie Theatre on March 3rd for a special viewing of The Sandlot. Amazing raffle prizes offered to support the fight against pediatric cancer.
Valley Lodge in Wilmette will donate 15% of all identified sales to District 39’s Angel Fund. Dine in or take out on March 8th 11:00 am - Midnight. Please show flyer to participate.
Wilmette Children’s Theatre presents Legally Blonde Jr. The Musical opening March 9th. Tickets on sale now for $10.
Going Green Matters 2018 will be held March 11th 12:00 - 4:00 pm at Michigan Shores Club.
Wilmette Public Library’s "One Book, Everybody Reads" featuring Amor Towles discussing his best-selling novel A Gentleman in Moscow at WJHS Auditorium April 22nd at 3:00 pm
FAN (Family Action Network)
- Thursday, March 8th: Author Rachel Simmons talks about "Enough as She Is: How to Help Girls Move Beyond Impossible Standards of Success to Live Healthy, Happy, and Fulfilling Lives" 7pm at NTHS, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. This event will NOT be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+
- Thursday, March 15th: Professor and Author Dan Chambliss, Ph.D. to present "How College Works: The Primacy of Personal Connection" at 7 pm, NTHS/Winnetka, Gaffney Auditorium 385 Winnetka Ave., Winnetka, IL 60093.
- Wednesday, March 21st: Author and Fellow Richard Rothstein for 2 events on "The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America" EVENT #1 (requires RSVP at www.familyactionnetwork.net): 12 pm Loyola University Chicago School of Law Ceremonial Courtroom, 10th Floor 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 EVENT #2: 7 pm Evanston Township High School Auditorium 1600 Dodge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201. No RSVP required for evening event at ETHS.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org