Knights' Monthly News
Our Guiding Principles
Our Mission:At NMS, we exist to ensure Every Child learns and makes impactful choices that igKNIGHT a purposeful future.
By 2024, NMS will be a Model PLC School.
The educators at NMS believe...
Every Child will have their ARMOR ready!
Every Child will learn from collaborative educators!
Every Child will learn at high levels!
Every Child will receive differentiated academic and behavioral support!
Every Child will develop their social and emotional skills!
Every Child will be celebrated for academic and behavioral mastery AND progress!
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The University of Chicago Consortium on Chicago School Research states, "Students who are chronically absent in eighth grade—missing more than 10 percent of the school year—are more likely to be off-track than on-track when they get to high school." I am almost certain that the same holds true for students in any grade level.
Our goal is to increase our attendance percentage for the school year. Why is this important? The attendance percentage directly impacts student achievement and the resources made available to our campus by the district. Given this, we strongly encourage you to make sure your child attends school every day.
As of late, our daily attendance percentage has been hovering around 90-92%. Our goal is to get our attendance percentage to around 95% every day. We are motivating our students to come to school daily with a little friendly competition between grade levels. Whenever a grade level's attendance percentage is 95% or greater, they are rewarded a free dress day.
If your child is not ill, please make sure he/she comes to school every day. If your child has a doctor's appointment, please have your child bring the doctor's note to school the next day. Remember, we are a partnership, so please let us know if there are any extenuating circumstances keeping your child from attending school every day.
Your igKNIGHTed Principal,
Dr. HP Hyder, III
Our ARMOR Models
Please help us make sure your child is dressed in his/her ARMOR every day before he/she leaves home. Nothing can stand in the way of a KNIGHT in his/her shining ARMOR.
"This Month's Happenings @ NMS"
Week of November 8th
- Monday, November 8th - Middle of the Year Running Records Begin & Winter Dance Criteria Begins (No Discipline Referrals in order to enter Winter Dance)
- Tuesday, November 9th - Picture Day - Students do NOT have to wear uniform clothes!
- Thursday, November 11th - Veterans' Day
- Saturday, November 13th - Saturday School #4 @ 8 am-12:15 pm
Week of November 15th - Generation Texas Week
- Monday, November 15th - Generation Texas Spirit Week Begins (Flyer coming soon)
- Wednesday, November 17th - Progress Report Entry Window Opens
Week of November 22nd - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Thursday, November 25 - Happy Thanksgiving Day
Week of November 29th
- Wednesday, December 1st - Progress Reports Go Home
- Thursday, December 2nd - Beginner & Intermediate Orchestra Concert @ 6 pm
- Friday, December 3rd - Winter Dance @ 6 pm-7:30 pm
- Doors open @ 7:45 am for car riders and walkers. Please do not drop off your child before this time as there is no adult supervision.
- All students are required to wear their ID badges every day.
- All students must be in uniform every day.
- All students must turn off and stow their cell phones in their backpacks during the school day.
- Breakfast is served from 7:45 am - 8:15 am.
- Dismissal begins @ 3:55 pm.
Every Day Items
Reporting COVID Positive Cases
We understand that you may have reservations about sharing this sensitive information. Please know that all information shared will remain confidential and will only be shared with individuals who have a need to know.
“When students improve their attendance rates, they improve their academic prospects and chances for graduating."
– Attendance Works