CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL April 2018
Greeting Panther Parents,
The year continues to fly by and I find it hard to believe we are already in April! I have to say, spring in a middle school is really fun. The kids have more energy and the weather is getting better; that mix equals a lot of excitement. April is a busy time for Cimarron as we enter the State Testing (OSTP) window.
We need your help during this testing time…first please help your student(s) be prepared! Be sure they get a solid night of sleep before coming to school, a healthy breakfast at home (or in our cafeteria), and have them at school on the days we are testing so they can test with their class. We work very hard to maintain our normal schedule and rhythm during this busy time, and missing a test can disrupt their schedule and for some students cause unnecessary stress. The second way you can help is by volunteering to be a test monitor. The Signup Genius for testing is below with all of the times we need your help!
As you read this, we are on day two of the teacher walk out. With school canceled, we are adjusting our testing schedule accordingly. I don’t want the first day back for students to be one that involves state testing. Please continue to monitor the district website at http://edmondschools.net/, watch for push notifications from Cimarron, and check out our Cimarron Facebook page for updates.
On a personal note, I want to thank you for all of the support you provide every day to Cimarron. Our staff feels loved and appreciated by our families and it is a large part of what makes Cimarron the great school it is!
Thank you in advance for your help with test monitoring! Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you or your students.
MEDIA CENTER NEWS
Book Donations Needed!
Donations for our Used Book Sale will be accepted April 2-17! We will be collecting books of all levels - baby through adult. Please consider cleaning out those bookshelves, closets, cabinets, and attics, and we'll turn your gently used books into brand new books for our library!
Used Book Sale - April 20 - 25!
Come get great deals on used books and support your Cimarron Media Center! Visit the sale each day and find some GREAT summer reading! #pantherslovetoread
Izzy Gonzales presenting her research at OSU on stimulating webs and observing spider behavior.
Reed Holland presenting his research at OSU on how litter affects crickets, he placed 3rd in this event.
Reed Holland, Ramey Brinkman, Izzy Ayers-Gonzales, Brenna Bailey, Hannah Haskins, Jeremy Black, Cody Homer, and Ms. Cara Stephens
TEST MONITORS NEEDED!
Monitor training is available on April 16 at 10:00 am and 2:00 pm in the EPSAC Oklahoma rooms. You may also receive training by arriving at your first monitor session 30 minutes early.
To sign up, follow this link: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090a44a9ae22a6fe3-20181 or call Robbi Kinnaird at 726-5501.
NOMINATIONS FOR NEW OUTSTANDING TEACHER AWARD
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2018 Edmond Summit Rotary Club’s NEW Outstanding Teacher Award for Service Above Self. Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2018. Complete the form below to nominate a teacher.Nominees must be an Edmond teacher. Winners will be announced in May 2018.
8TH GRADE GRADUATION DATES TO REMEMBER
Monday, May 21 - Yearbook signing and clean out lockers
Tuesday, May 22 - 8th Grade Dance, 6:00 pm, Cimarron Cafeteria
Wednesday, May 23 - Last Day of School and 8th Grade Graduation, 10:30 am First Baptist Church - Students will be released for the day following graduation. Must have a parent/guardian signature.
Watch for more details in the coming months!
2018-2019 ENROLLMENT FACTS:
- All pre-enrollment forms MUST be turned into the school. If your student has not turned in their enrollment, please contact the school office.
- Beginning in July, ALL parents will be required to complete the Annual Update for their students via the Parent Portal. One parent in each household must have a Parent Portal account. If you do not have a Parent Portal account set up, please come by the Cimarron office for assistance.
- The Oklahoma State Department of Health requires all students entering the 7th grade receive the Tdap booster shot. If your child has already received the Tdap, please send a copy of the updated shot record to the Cimarron office.
- All changes or updates to your child's information must be made BY YOU in Parent Portal. (e-mail, phone numbers, adding additional contacts, etc.) The only exception is an address change. Parents MUST provide the required two proofs of residence to the registrar before it can be changed in the Infinite Campus system.
“Kids aren’t appliances, there are no guarantees...up, down, up, down, oh what a ride.” A great scene from the movie Parenthood (see grandma's roller-coaster story! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18vJwmxFFY
Because parenting is like riding a roller coaster, we want to share a few resources we hope you find useful for the ride. A few recommended books: Mindset; Peak; Personality Plus for Parents; and How to raise an Adult. Here is a link to the article 4 Powerful Ways to Love Your Teens and Help Them Like You Back (Maybe) by Jessie Minassian - https://www.focusonthefamily.com/parenting/teens/4-powerful-ways-to-love-your-teens-and-help-them-like-you-back-maybe?utm_campaign=Connecting+With+Your+Teen+%2B+%E2%80%98A+Wrinkle+in+Time%E2%80%99&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl_focusenews
Another resource is from Disney for $99 to check out - it may be worth the investment. Manage all of your home’s connected devices with the Circle. Parents can filter content, limit online screen time, and set a bedtime for every device in the home. Click on the link for more information. https://meetcircle.com/
We must remind ourselves to hang on, hang in there knowing that these middle school years go by fast so we hope you are taking time to enjoy the ride!!
Our Cimarron Food Pantry still needs volunteers for the 2018-2019 school year. Our kiddos on the backpack program depend on the food they bring home each weekend. If you are interested in helping weekly, biweekly, or even once a month, please contact Sonja at 405-589-6815.
We would love to have you join us for our next PTO meeting on April 10th, 8:45 a.m. We really could use your help in making our PTO stronger and better. Please consider sharing your time and talents with us!
Hope to see you there!
Lori Briggs, CPTO Co-Chair
Jennifer Fett, CPTO Co-Chair
SMOOTHIE KING TREATS!
Choose from Choc-a-loca, Caribbean Way, and Angel Food. All 12oz smoothies cost $3 each and will be distributed before school on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday the last week in April. Watch for order forms coming home with your student. All orders MUST be prepaid and turned into the office.
CPTO HELP WANTED!!
SECRETARY - Be honest, you're the one in your friend group who filled out every page in your child's baby book...at the right time, no less. If you're the kind of person who documents everything, from your toddler's first steps to how far you jogged yesterday, we have the perfect role for you. You'll get to put your stellar record keeping skills and attention to detail to good use as our CPTO secretary. You must have good listening and computer skills - and extra credit if you can follow what's on TV and play Candy Crush at the same time.
VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR - Are you a people person who isn't afraid to strike up a conversation with a stranger? We're looking for a volunteer coordinator to recruit helpers for CPTO programs and events and to help parents find the best way to plug in to our school community. If you are enthusiastic (without being high-pressure) and understanding of parent's many time constraints, raise your hand and help us do even more great things for our school!
FUNDRAISING COORDINATOR - Our parent group does a lot more than fundraising, but let's face it, without fundraising, we wouldn't be able to do much. We're seeking an upbeat, detail-oriented parent to coordinate our fundraising efforts next school year. The ideal candidate is able to motivate students and parents, can think on his/her feet, and can handle last-minute surprises without totally freaking out (like product deliveries getting delayed because of a freak weather event - but, really, there's almost no chance of that happening again...right?).
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK!
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK is May 7-11 and will be a great time to thank and encourage your child's teachers! It could be as simple as a kind note or a small treat or something off their favorite things list. Look under their last name on the link below for ideas.
GOOD TO KNOW
- In the event of a school emergency/situation, Mr. Ehrich will communicate quickly to parents through the SchoolWay app. If you have a smartphone, please download this app: www.myschoolway.com, select Cimarron and set up your device for push notifications.
- If you are having problems with your Parent Portal account, e-mail: email@example.com
- Panther Pals are parent volunteers helping on a weekly basis in the workroom. Contact the CPTO to sign up!
- Pizza Day is a monthly event during lunch hosted by the CPTO. The money raised benefits Cimarron! The circle of…pizza! $1 per slice / $10 per box, $1 - Drinks
- Fun Food Friday is a twice a month sweet treat fundraiser for students. Everything is $1
- Panther Grill is a monthly luncheon for students who are nominated by their teachers for displaying a recognizable positive character trait.
- The Golden Paw/AOK Award Assembly is a monthly grade level assembly to recognize and commend students for exceptional qualities.
- Please continue to collect Box Tops. They all add up to benefit Cimarron Panthers!
- This Panther Prowl newsletter is produced monthly by Cimarron Middle School. If you have submissions, photos or suggestions, please contact Mr. Ehrich’s secretary, Robbi Kinnaird at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would love to hear from you.
CIMARRON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Principal Cordell Ehrich
Assistant Principal Carrie Higdon
Assistant Principal Link Lowe
School Hours - 7:50 AM - 2:40 PM
Office Hours - 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM.