Rocky Mountain National Park
By Madison Price
Rocky Mountain Information
- The land that is known as by the Rocky Mountain was first acquired in 1803 by the Louisiana Purchase. Human life began 10,000 when Native Americans began to hunt and explore the land. Woodrow Wilson signed the park into law on January 26, 1915.
- In the winter there is deep snow, high winds, and sudden blizzards, and a night it can get to -35 degrees F.
- In the spring it could either be we or dry, cold or warm.
- Summer: sunny mornings, afternoon thunderstorms an clear nights.
- Fall: Cool, crisp days, wind and decreasing precipitation.
Points of Geological Interest
- The highest peak in the park; Longs Peak which is 14,255 ft.
- Hiking trails
- "The Diamond" a 1,000-foot sheer cliff of the glacier cirque headwall.
- Horseshoe Park: A glacial moraines that rim the valley in the shape of a horseshoe.
- Old Fall River Road is a one-way road from Endovalley to the Alpine Visitor Center where there is good view of Hanging Valley.
- Elk (about 1000 in the park.)
- Rare boreal toads
- Bighorn sheep
- Mountain lions
- Marmots, ground squirrels, butterflies, eagles
Plants and Trees
- Invasive Exotic Plants: Cheat Grass, Canada Thistle, Toadflax, Woolly Mullein
- Lichens: Pleopsidium
- Mosses & Liverworts
- Rare & Endangered Plants:
- Trees: Conifers, Deciduous trees
- Shrubs: Wild Rose, Wax Current, Boulder Raspberry, Mountain Big Sagebrush, and Common Juniper.
- Because a wildfire burned through, here are potential hazards to be alert for including: falling trees and limbs, unstable slopes and rolling materials such as logs.
- Too many cars can cause an impact of tourism
- Scenic Drives
- Wildlife Viewing
- Ranger-led Program
- Backcountry Camping
"History." NPS: Nature & Science» Geology Resources Division. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
United States. National Park Service. "Things To Do." National Parks Service. U.S. Department of the Interior, 23 Nov. 2014. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
"Rocky Mountains." Rocky Mountains. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
"Rocky Mountains - Western North America, USA - Travel Surround." Travel Surround Rocky Mountains Western North America USA Comments
"NRDC: Upper Old Ute Trail." NRDC: Upper Old Ute Trail. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
"RMNP Super-Traverse." === Trip Report: ===. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.
"Rocky Mountain National Park Colorado | Rocky Mountain National Park, RMNP History." Grand Lake Chamber. Web. 4 Dec. 2014.