Monthly MOAHPERD Membership Newsletter
August 2017 (Back-to-School Edition)
Make a Commitment to GROWth in the New School Year
Happy new school year! The Missouri Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (MOAHPERD) would like to wish all of our PreK—12 public and non-public physical education and health education professionals a wonderful 2017-18
school year. While the dynamics of education seem to change every year there is one thing that always remains the same—a commitment to the growth of our youth through the implementation of high-quality instructional practices in our schools. As the current standing President for MOAHPERD, and teacher/administrator for the past 28 years, I am committed to these same goals and aspirations.
In the years ahead, our Association will be focused on the growth of 1 million healthy, active students who are currently enrolled in Missouri schools (PreK—12), as well as our contribution to the growth of 50 million healthy, active students throughout the United States. The outcomes for healthy, active Missouri students are outlined in the recently developed MOAHPERD Physical Education Grade-Level Expectations.
Start your commitment to your students by attending the annual MOAHPERD state convention. being held November 10-12, at the Lodge of the Four Seasons (Lake Ozark, MO). At the convention, you will learn more about the Missouri 1 Million Strong Campaign, as well as the new Missouri Physical Education Grade-Level Expectations. You will also learn a ton of new activities and strategies for enhancing your physical education and/or health education program.
This year’s list of presenters is one of the best lineups we have ever offered with several national teachers of the year in attendance (See partial list below).
- Andy Milne (National Health Educator of the Year)
- Jim Deline (Texas State Elementary Physical Educator of the Year)
- Scott Williams (National Dance Educator of the Year)
- Mike Doyle (Minnesota State Adapted Physical Educator of the Year)
In addition, there will be an Improv Show following the Awards Banquet on Saturday night. Be sure to also stay for an incredible Sunday morning sessions with past and current Missouri HPE Teachers of the Year as they present their favorite games and activities.
Go to the MOAHPERD website to see a preview of the convention program.
Let your school principal and/or supervisor know today that you would like to attend this year's MOAHPERD Convention. You will not want to miss it! The online registration process is now open.
MOAHPERD President (2017)
2017 President-Elect Candidates -- Your Vote Counts!
As an Association member, we highly encourage your active participation in this process. It is important that our membership be involved in the identification and selection of our leadership.
View the bios of the President-Elect candidates by clicking the links below.
MOAHPERD State Convention
Friday, Nov. 10th, 8am to Sunday, Nov. 12th, 10am
The Lodge of Four Seasons
- 5 Pre-conference Sessions (Friday Morning) - Including First Aid Recertification, The Heroin Epidemic; DrumFit Workshop, and Dance Workshop)
- General Session & FREE Lunch (Friday Noon)
- 16 Elementary Physical Education Sessions
- 16 Middle/Secondary Physical Education Sessions
- 8 Health Education Sessions
- 6 Dance Sessions
- 5 Adapted PE Sessions
- 6 Future Professional Sessions
- Association Awards Banquet (Saturday Night)
- Improv Show (Saturday Night)
- Evening Music & Dance (Friday and Saturday Night)
- SUNDAY BEST OF MO T.O.Y.s SESSION (Sunday Morning)
SEE LIST OF PRESENTATIONS AND REGISTER TODAY AT www.moahperd.org
MAKE LODGING ARRANGEMENTS AT 1-800-THE-LAKE.
Joanne Owens-Nauslar Will Be Keynote at General Session
Former AAHPERD President, Dr. Joanne Owens-Nauslar, will be the keynote speaker at the state convention's General Session & Lunch on Friday, November 10th. Dr. Jo has spent 43 years promoting the benefits of healthy, active living. She is considered one of the nation's most vocal personalities on issues of physical activity and the need for physical education in the critical core day. See a preview of Dr. Jo in action in the video below.
2017 State Teachers of the Year Announced
- Darren Neels (Elementary PE Teacher of the Year)
- Sarah Gietschier-Hartman (Middle School PE Teacher of the Year)
- Terri O'Leary (High School PE Teacher of the Year)
- Barb Reinarman (Adapted PE Teacher of the Year)
- Jen Hoell (Health Education Teacher of the Year)
These individuals will be considered for the Central District HPE Teachers of the Year and hopefully advance to the SHAPE America National Award level. Good luck to our fabulous Missouri HPE professionals.