Genitically Modified Food
What are GMFs?
GM foods or GMOs (genetically-modified organisms) are foods that scientist change the DNA using biologic techniques for human and animal usa.
Benefits of GMFs
- Sturdy plants able to withstand weather extremes
- Drought-tolerant and salt-tolerant crops
- Better-quality food crops
- Higher nutritional yields
- Inexpensive and nutritious food, such as carrots with more antioxidants
- Foods with a longer shelf life, like tomatoes that taste better and last longer
- Food with medicinal benefits, such as edible vaccines – for example, bananas with bacterial or rotavirus antigens
- Disease- and insect-resistant crops that require less pesticide and herbicide – for example, GM canola.
Risks of GMFs
- Reduced effectiveness of pesticides
- Can cause cancer
- Unintended harm to other organisms
- Unknown toxics
- Unknown genetic effects on humans