Critical Thinking Talking Points
The main facets of Critical Thinking are:
- Students acquire a better understanding of the subject matter when they are invited to think critically about ideas and information.
- Critical thinking can be nurtured in every student through explicit instruction in the use of key "tools" including thinking strategies, habits of mind, critical thinking vocabulary and criteria.
- Critical thinking is essential now and in the future; by providing students with everyday opportunities to think critically, they will develop this lifelong practice.
- Thinking critically is NOT about criticizing.
- Critical thinking IS about making a judgment in light of relevant criteria and is supported by evidence.