First Grade Diaries
All the news and happenings in First Grade February 2015
Mark Your Calendars
MONDAY - FRIDAY MARCH 2nd - 6th - Spirit Week
TUESDAY, MARCH 3 - Picture Day
THURSDAY, MARCH 12 - Coffee with the Administrator Event 8:15-9:00 FA2 Library
FRIDAY, MARCH 13 - Report Cards, Track Out
MONDAY, APRIL 6 - Track In
BARDES/SCHULZ: None at this time
CARTER: Lysol wipes and/or Clorox wipes please
CROSLAND: None at this time
LEWIS: Lysol wipes and/or Clorox wipes please
STEINMILLER: Clorox wipes, antibacterial spray, baby wipes, and treasure box items
- remember that teachers are not able to check their email while they are working with the students. All first grade teachers check email before carpool begins at 7:35 and after carpool ends around 3:15. They try to check during planning time at 10:00 and during the lunch break at 12:00 on days when they are not the lunch 'parent' in the room. Teachers understand that things come up throughout the day and that parents will be emailing, but ask that if there is a message that needs the teacher's immediate attention please send in a note when you are able or call the school office so that they can get the message in a more timely manner.
- to reinforce what we are learning about in Health this quarter, first grade will be taking a field trip to Whole Foods! We ask that parents please refrain from making riding arrangements for your child. Our classes will not all be going to Whole Foods at the same time and teachers carefully plan out the riding arrangements based on the number of chaperones/drivers that they have signed up. Please let your child's homeroom teacher know if you are interested in chaperoning/driving. As a reminder, all driver's who will be driving first graders, other than their own child, will need a current copy of their driver's license and auto insurance card as well as a completed background check on file in the office. Please let your homeroom teacher know if you need to complete the background check and they can get the necessary paperwork to you.
Notes From the Office
Please help to support learning time by having your child at school on time. School begins at 8:00 and doors open at 7:35. Students who arrive after carpool has ended will be counted tardy, and will need to be signed in by a parent.
In order to prevent the spread of illnesses, please keep children home if they are sick. Students must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school.
With cooler weather approaching, please check to be sure your child has a sweater or jacket for outdoor recess or PE. It is helpful to label all outerwear items with first and last names.
Please have FA carpool tags visible during afternoon dismissal. This will help speed up the carpool line and dismiss students more efficiently
Check out FA on FACEBOOK! Visit the FA Facebook page to find out about great things going on at all FA campuses! https://m.facebook.com/FranklinAcademyNC
Make Up Work: Work for students that are absent may be picked up at the end of the school day (3:15). This gives teachers time to collect work from all classes and send to the office. Please understand that work will not be ready for pick up until this time.
FA has many upcoming field trips that students are looking forward to attending. We certainly appreciate all parent volunteers, since our school depends on parents to assist with transportation to and from these events. In order to avoid confusion and ensure safety for all students/teachers, please review the items below and attached field trip guidelines.
- Please check with your child's teacher to ensure you have a current background check before chaperoning.
- All drivers need to have a copy of their driver's license and insurance card on file in the office.
- We ask that you allow teachers to make group assignments for drivers and chaperones. Please do not make plans for your child to ride with specific drivers.
- Please notify your child's teacher immediately if you find you are unable to drive so they can make alternate arrangements.
Third Quarter AR Goals
We encourage all students to take AR quizzes and work to reach their goal. Parents can really help by checking to make sure the book your child is reading is an AR title. We also ask that you write down the QUIZ NUMBER in your child's agenda. It is much easier for students to type in the number correctly than the title of the book.
If your child's READING teacher is:
Bardes/Jenkins - 3.0 points
Carter - 3.0 points
Crosland - 3.5 points
Lewis - 4.0 points
Steinmiller - 4.5 points
Current Lunch Parents: If you need immediate assistance contact the building office by picking up the phone and dialing one of the following extensions:
FA1- Sharon McDaniel- ext. 113
FA2-Samantha Williams- ext. 202
FA2-Tara Davis- ext. 201
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR VOLUNTEERING!!