the beginnings of perspective
The Middle Ages - Byzantine Art
What do you notice about the size of Madonna and Child compared with the rest of the figures?
less concerned with reality & more concerned with content & symbolism
Madonna and Child - Giotto
A man before his time & the beginnings of the Renaissance
what difference do you notice between these two images of the Madonna?
Madonna and Child with St Anne and the Young St John - Leonardo da Vinci
Compare the baby Jesus' of the last three paintings. What do you notice? Which one is more realistic?
RENAISSANCE BRINGS PERSPECTIVE & REALITY
Brunelleschi discovered how to use perspective & vanishing points to accurately draw architecture
Drawing for Church of Santo Spirito
Masaccio applied the new method of mathematical perspective to create this fresco
Holy Trinity. located at Dominican church of Santa Maria Novella, in Florence. 1427.
Perugino's Delivery of the Keys
RULES OF PERSPECTIVE
ONE POINT PERSPECTIVE
- a single point, which all others move toward
- lines which you know are parallel seem to converge at a single point, called the Vanishing Point
- distant figures appear smaller but have the same shape & proportions as they would up close
TWO POINT PERSPECTIVE
- two vanishing points, which all others move toward
- where you face an edge of an object