Memorial Elementary School Newsletter
Save the Date (s):
8 Student Council at 8 a.m.
8 Lucky Lessons in grades 2 and 3
8 Discovery Fair Packets go home
9 PTO Meeting 3:30 p.m.
12 Kindness Keepers at 8 a.m.
15 Student Council rings the bell at the Walgreens on Calumet Ave. 5-7 p.m.
16 PTO Pie Pick-up
16 This Is Our Story at Valparaiso High School at 7:30*
16 BF Team Lead students visit 5th Grade
17 Family Dinner Night @ YATS
18 & 19 Holiday Parties
20 Winter Break Begins
*This Is Our Story is a 2 Evening Concert (December 15 & 16) highlighting choirs and bands of all Valparaiso Community Schools at the VHS gym. The Memorial Choir will sing on December 16.
NOTES & REMINDERS:
- Follow Memorial Elementary on Twitter @Valpo_Memorial
- Thank you for your donations for Support Our Troops and the Jar Wars for Christmas. Your generosity will make a difference for many people. The money raised from Jar Wars will go to Memorial families in need.
- We are now 1/2 way through the second quarter, don't forget to check out your child's progress using the RDS Parent Portal. Don't wait! If you have questions or concerns, it is a good time to contact your child's teacher.
- Please send a note, or email Mrs. Molnar, in the morning with all changes in transportation. When calls are made during the busy school day, there is a chance that the message may get delayed and/or not delivered. If you have an emergency during the day, which merits a change in transportation, the best way to send the message is to Mrs. Molnar's email: email@example.com.
- It is most appreciated if all notes sent to the office are at least 5" x 7" or a half sheet of paper. The small notes, especially the sticky notes, tend to get misplaced in children's folders.
- Mrs. Becker's class won the Golden Broom last week for keeping their hallway area neat and clean.
- Please remind your child to check the Lost and Found for any missing clothing or winter wear items. It is growing daily. You are welcome to come look through it as well, as sometimes the students do not look as thoroughly as adults.
- New Procedure - If your child is late to school (after the 8:45 bell) please walk them into the office and sign them in.
- If you need a copy of the New Wellness Policy, please ask in the office. There is a list of acceptable birthday/classroom treats. The teachers appreciate pre-packaged and pre-portioned treats.
- If you have not completed a Background Check this school year, please do so ASAP. Anyone coming to help with holiday parties must have one completed a week in advance. This needs to be done for all visitors and volunteers that are coming to school during the school day.
The ISTEP+ Language Art Sample Questions can be found at
Mathematics Sample Questions can be found at
If you have any questions about the changes you may contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Misecko.
SUB AIDES NEEDED!
You can find the Memorial PTO News at: http://www.memorialelementarypto.com/
- PTO is in need of Saturday Night Live (SNL) Volunteers. SNL is a Saturday afternoon/evening Reading Event for 4th and 5th grade students run by parent volunteers. The school is transformed and events are planned to go with a secret theme. The evening culminates at VHS for fun in the field house and swimming. Everyone goes home at 11. Volunteers are needed to plan and facilitate activities, chaperone the students in their groups, and help with set up and clean up. Please let Kathy Danzi know if you are able to help out.
Dear Memorial Families,
We want to be sure we keep Memorial healthy!. Here are some helpful tips.
Please remember, in accordance with the VCS policy , children should be kept at home if they have the following:
- Temperature of 100 degrees or over
- Eye infections with discharge
- Cough associated with fever or continuous unrelieved cough
- Cold symptoms associated with other signs of illness
- Communicable diseases (chicken pox, scabies, impetigo, ringworm, head lice - until treated appropriately)
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Undiagnosed skin eruptions or rashes
*We ask students to be on antibiotic treatment for 24 hours or fever free 24 hours without an analgesic (Tylenol, Motrin) before returning to school.
For more information, please contact our School Nurse, Michelle Keenan
Copyright 1999 Dr. William P. Sawyer