The Growth of a Nation
All About the Louisiana Purchase
Why is the Louisiana Purchase Important?
- It DOUBLED the size of our country overnight
- By gaining access to the Port of Orleans, we gained access to trading with other countries.
- We now owned land on both sides of the Mississippi River (2nd longest in North America) and all the land surrounding the Missouri River (longest river)
- More space = more people = opportunity for more goods produced
Other Great Facts
- Purchased in 1803 from Emperor Napoleon in France
- Robert Livingston and James Monroe were sent to buy a part of Florida and the Port of Orleans, but Napoleon offered the whole territory because he didn't want England to get it (and he needed money)
- President Thomas Jefferson didn't officially approve of the Purchase until after the deal was made.
- Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were assigned to explore the new territory.