The Jungle Book
Mrs. Knueven's Classroom Newsletter
5/20 WTW Quiz
5/20 Field Day
5/23 Unit 10 Math Test
5/24 Unit 6, Lessons 4-7 Indiana History Test **new date**
5/25 Graduation Practice
5/25 Kokomo Beach Day
5/25 Yearbook Signing
5/26 4th Grade Graduation @ 9:45
5/26 Kona Ice
5/26 Final Dance Through the Halls
5/26 Last Day of School
Have a wonderful summer!
Wordly Wise: 16 C&D due Thursday, test Friday
WTW: Quiz Friday
Grammar: We will practice doing level 3 analysis this week. This includes all parts of speech, parts of the sentence, and phrases.
Reading: Next year is Indiana's Bicentennial Birthday Celebration. As part of that, there is a time capsule being created for Boone County that will be opened in 100 years. They have requested letters and drawings from 4th grade students predicting what Boone County, Indiana will be like in the year 2116. These will be compiled in a book and put in the time capsule. Students will be working on these this week. It is hard to imagine their grandchildren will be the ones to open the capsule!
This chapter of Indiana History is about economics. They will be learning the basics about wants and needs, supply and demand, how we use transportation to import and export goods, and international trade. I have moved our test to next week to give us some more review time. Scores on the last test were lower than normal. I gave tests back and had the kids use the book to make corrections (worth 1/2 point each).
This week, we will learning about reflections, translations, and rotations and adding positive and negative numbers. The unit test will be Monday, May 17 and will cover the following topics:
- Drawing shapes with a specified number of lines of symmetry
- Identifying translations, rotations, and reflections
- Using a transparent mirror to draw a reflection
- Equivalent fractions, decimals, and percents (from the chart I sent home last chapter)
- Adding and subtracting fractions
- Adding positive and negative numbers
- Identifying and measuring angles
- Multiplying and dividing decimals
- Please wear a blue shirt. This can be a Jog-A-Thon shirt or any other blue shirt.
- Please bring a sack lunch.
- Sunscreen! We will be outside for about three hours.
- Each student should bring a water bottle.
We will be eating lunch from 12:20-12:50, then participating in field day activities from 1 to 3. If you are available to volunteer, please sign up here: http://sge.ivolunteer.com/event_027
- Fabric paint
- Sequins & rhinestones
- Foam shapes
- Any other crafty items that can be glued to felt
Last Day of School
- Graduation: 9:45-10:45 - students should dress nicely for the ceremony, but can bring play clothes to change into afterward
- Kona Ice will be here again. Please send in money any time between now and then if your child would like to buy a snow cone.
- Dance Through the Halls - Parents are welcome to come back in the afternoon for the final walk/dance through the hallways. This will take place around 3:00.