May 17, 2019
Commit to 36 Campaign **We are in 3rd place. Donate to help us win a $1000 bonus!!
It's time to Commit! The Hoover City Schools Foundation has launched its only fundraising campaign of the year, and we are encouraging parents and the community to support education in our district by donating at least $36 to support a student. That's just $1 for every week of the school year. With almost 14,000 students in our system, collectively we can make a big difference in the educational offerings for our students.
A donation to the Foundation goes to support educators in our district through Teacher Grants, SeedLAB team grants, and special programs. 10% of each donation goes directly to your PTO (20% if your school reaches 20% participation). Thank you for joining us in this very important cause, for the benefit of all of our students. Visit www.CommitTo36.com today and choose Greystone Elementary School. We hope each family will make this commitment to support education!
Help! Please check the lost and found before friday! all remaining items will be donated to charity.
Order Your School Supplies Online Now for the 2019-20 School Year
2. Enter the school ID, GRE066 (3 letters/3 numbers)
3. Follow the directions to complete your order.
4. Keep your online confirmation as your receipt.
Next week's schedule
Monday, May 20:
SPHS Seniors Walk the Halls - 1:30 pm
Tuesday, May 21:
K-2nd Talent Show - 8:30 - 10:00 am
3rd - 5th Talent Show - 12:30 - 2:00 pm
Family Skate Night - Skates280 - 6:00 - 8:30 pm
Thursday, May 23:
K-2nd Awards Day - 8:15 - 9:00 am
3rd-5th Awards Day - 9:15 - 10:15 am
Early Dismissal at 12:45 pm
Friday, May 24:
Early Dismissal at 11:15 am
Report Cards Sent Home
please make sure you have cleared any negative balances in the cafeteria, office, and library by friday!
note from nurse felecia!
The end of the school year requires some housekeeping tasks throughout the school. The health room is no exception. An adult will be required to pick up any medications that your child may have in the health room. Medications should be picked up by noon on May 24. Any medications left at school will be destroyed after noon on May 24 unless specific arrangements have been made with the Nurse. When your child returns to school in August, a new medication form with parent and physician signature will be required. This will be sent to you along with a Health Care Plan for next year if one is required that you will need to sign and return along with the medication and the form. One form will be required for each medication brought to school for the 2019-2020 school year.
If you have any questions please call me at 439-3230.
Have a safe and happy summer!☺
Felecia Motley, School Nurse
Please sign your kids up for Summer Reading at any public library! There are many fun, free activities all summer long at the Hoover Public Library, North Shelby Library, and Mt. Laurel Library! The Hoover Library will also be offering free lunch most weekdays. You can earn prizes from Mrs. Richey in the fall if you participate in any public library Summer Reading program!
North Shelby: https://tinyurl.com/y4dsvwja
There are many online options for great books! Our students have access to over 1,000 eBooks & audiobooks through Overdrive or Sora. Click the following links for instructions on how to access these wonderful resources. Overdrive Instructions or Sora Instructions
Here are some other options:
Our Awards Assembly will be May 23rd. The K-2nd grades assembly will be from 8:15-9:00 a.m. The 3rd-5th grades assembly will be from 9:15-10:15 am. As a part of the awards assembly, community service will be recognized. The deadline for submitting community service hours is May 10th. Please contact the School Counselor, Mrs. Amos-White email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the community service submissions. Thank you!
Mark Your Calendars with these important dates!
Last Name begins with A - K: 8:00 - 9:30
Last Name begins with L - Z: 10:00 - 11:30
August 6th - Kindergarten Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15 pm
August 13th - 2nd Grade Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15 pm
August 15th - 1st Grade Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15 pm
August 22nd - 3rd Grade Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15
August 29th - 4th Grade Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15 pm
September 5th - 5th Grade Parent Night - 6:00 - 7:15 pm
Summer Learning Opportunities
Our state has partnered with some of the nation’s top education organizations to offer the Alabama Summer Learning Challenge, and these “FREE” resources to help minimize the summer-learning-slide.
These resources are easy-to-access online and hopefully will encourage continuous learning throughout the summer by students, while they are away from our classrooms:
- The Lexile-based "Find a Book, Alabama" tool offers students over 260,000 book selections. This book-search tool enables individuals to build custom reading lists based on their Lexile range and interests. Students and parents can also check availability of books at local libraries. They can also pledge to read throughout the summer by using this tool (https://fab.lexile.com/fab/alabama/).
- The Alabama Summer Learning Challenge also includes a FREE email-based math skills program for students who have completed 1st through 8th grades.
- Parents and other summer care-givers can begin registering for this program today. Starting Monday, June 17th, parents will begin receiving daily emails with fun activities and resources to help students retain essential math skills. After the program ends on Friday, July 26th, parents can print a special award certificate to celebrate their child's wonderful summer accomplishments! Visit this weblink for more details: https://www.quantiles.com/parents-students/find-math-resources-to-support-classroom-learning/summer-math-challenge/
- This summer, Stride by Fuel Education is FREE to all students in Alabama from May 1 to July 31. Prevent "Summer Slide" with a great blend of online math, reading, language arts, and science skill practices. Fun games and learning for every student. Parents and their children may access the Stride learning platform online anytime – on tablets, PCs, and Macs. Register and login at https://www.fueleducation.com/alsummerlearning.
- Sparking a student's personal joy for reading is important! Using Big Universe by Fuel Education, students and parents can access 14,000+ leveled eBooks and high-quality learning tools anytime – on their tablets, laptops, or computers. This platforms’ search functions also identify eBooks by genre, grade level, Lexile, and other filters. Big Universe will be FREE to all students in Alabama from May 1 to July 31. Register and login at https://www.fueleducation.com/alsummerlearning. *Please note, to participate students and/or parents must register for Big Universe prior to May 21, 2019.
- Parents can also make learning fun this summer for students by utilizing the great opportunities and events at Alabama’s local libraries. See more information at http://www.publiclibraries.com/alabama.htm.
Lunch Menu for May
Spain Park Volleyball Camp
Spain Park FREE Youth Football Camp
Follow the PTA
Please like us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/GreystoneElementaryPTA
Follow us on Instagram at: greystoneelementarypta
May 20th- Seniors Walk the Halls- 1:30-2:30 p.m.
May 21st- K-2 Talent Show 8:30-10:00 a.m. and 3rd-5th- 12:30 p.m.-2:00 p.m.
May 21st- Skate Party 6:00-8:30 p.m. at Skates 280
May 23rd- K-2 Awards Assembly- 8:15-9:00 a.m. and 3rd-5th- 9:15-10:15 a.m.
May 23rd- Early Dismissal 12:45 p.m.
May 24th- Early Dismissal 11:15 a.m.
Click Here for the 2018-2019 Hoover City Schools Calendar
Our Greystone Motto
Learn - Lead - Leave a Legacy
Our Greystone Mission
As a school community, we empower learners, inspire leaders, and encourage all children to reach their potential.
Our Greystone Vision
Empowering a generation of learners and leaders to leave a legacy.