APPLYING FOR SERVICES
This program is completely voluntary. You get to choose if you want to apply for services or not.
ELIGIBILTY FOR SERVICES
- That the student has a disability
- The disability creates a barrier to employment
- The student can benefit from rehabilitation services
- Vocational Rehabilitation Services are required to achieve employment
Having an IEP/ 504 plan does not guarantee eligibility for services. All of the above listed criteria must be met.
Important things to remember if you are determined eligible for services:
- When you are determined to be eligible or ineligible, you will receive a letter. KEEP THIS LETTER!
- If you are eligible, services will NOT begin until you have met with your counselor and developed a plan.
MEETING WITH YOUR ACCES-VR COUNSELOR
- You may meet at your school
- Your parent/ guardian will be invited
- A transition staff from your high school will help schedule the meeting
At the first meeting:
- Your ACCES-VR counselor will talk with you about your plans when you leave high school
- You will discuss ideas about a job goal and services needed to become employed
Once you leave high school:
DEVELOPMENT OF THE EMPLOYMENT GOAL
- Choose a realistic and achievable goal
- Decide how you will gain the skills you need to do the job
- Decide what help you need to find a job
- Figure out what supports you need to keep a job and who will be able to provide them
SERVICES TO HELP YOU GET A JOB
Examples of services:
- Vocational counseling
- Assessment for career planning
- Assessment for assistive technology
- Purchase of assistive technology
- Funding toward the cost of education or training after high school
- Assistance with some transportation costs
- Funding for academic support services (note takers, tutors)
- Job readiness and job placement services to help you get and keep a job
- Keep all appointments with your ACCES-VR Counselor
- Let your counselor know if you change your address, phone number, or email
- Follow medical and treatment recommendations
- Send your counselor grades and progress reports as needed
- Let your counselor know if you have any problems that will interfere with your plan
- Contact your counselor when you get a job!