By Andrew Utesch
- Anorexia and bulimia are the most common eating disorders.
- One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia, and three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia.
- Almost one half of people with eating disorders meet the criteria for depression.
- One in three individuals with anorexia will receive treatment in the U.S.
- Only 6% of people with bulimia receive treatment.
- 50% of teenage girls and 30% of teenage boys use unhealthy methods of weight control.
- Around 14% of athletes have eating disorders.
- Up to 20% of people with serious eating disorders die.
- 10 million women and 1 million men struggle with eating disorders daily in the U.S.
- Eating disorders are identified by unusual or obsessive behavior in regard to eating and weight loss.