CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
September 16, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Monday, September 19th~ Grade 8 PTO Committee Meeting 7PM
Tuesday, September 20th~ NJ Start Strong Math
Wednesday, September 21st~ NJ Start Strong Language Arts
Thursday, September 22nd~ NJ Start Strong Science (Grade 6 only)
Monday, September 26th~ School Closed for Rosh Hashanah
Monday, October 3rd~ BOE Meeting in the BOE Conference Room, 8:00 PM
Wednesday, October 5th~ School Closed for Yom Kippur
Friday, October 7th~ Marking Period 1 Mid-Point
Monday, October 10th~ 12:30 PM Dismissal for Staff PD
Friday, October 14th~ Marking Period 1 Interim Reports released at 12:00 PM
Tuesday, October 18th~ School Picture Day
Monday, October 24th~ BOE Meeting in the BOE Conference Room, 8:00 PM
Monday, October 31st~ Halloween
Dropping Off Forgotten Items
Although we want your child(ren) to be successful in school and to have what they need to succeed, we also want your child(ren) to learn independence. We will continually work with your child(ren) on organizational methods if necessary. Just reach out!
CDW Spirit Wear: Band and Choir
Band Spirit Wear
If you would like to purchase CDW Band Spirit Wear, please use the following link:
Choir Spirit Wear
If you would like to purchase Choir Spirit Wear, please use the following links:
*All other CDW Spirit Wear will be sold by the PTO. Stay tuned for more information!
Grade 8: PTO Committee Meeting
Grade 8 Information from Ms. Adamo
All students applying to Bergen Academies/Tech, Private or Catholic schools must email Ms. Adamo by October 3; she will then provide you with important information to assist with the application process. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Adamo also has a Google Classroom to assist with all aspects of the transition process to high school. Every 8th grader has been invited to join her classroom. If you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss the application process, please email Ms. Adamo at email@example.com.
CDW Clothing Drive~ November 19th!
The PTO Grade 8 Committee will be hosting a Clothing Drive on Saturday, November 19th from 9:00 AM-2:00 PM. See below for specific information.
Start cleaning out your closets now!
Student Receives Award for Peace and Hope Art and Writing Exhibition
Grade 6 Social Studies Archeological Dig
In Ms. Cohen's 6th grade, the students simulated an archeological dig by analyzing an assortment of objects using their senses and developed theories as to what the object is and how it was used.
Mr. L's Corner
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
Fall Sports: Soccer and Volleyball
Dear Parent(s) and/or Guardian(s),
Our soccer and volleyball season has started, and games will begin next week. CDW has a long history of fostering sportsmanship and a respectful environment during our sporting events, and I/we anticipate this year will be no different. I/We ask all who attend to assist us in keeping our players, coaches, and officials safe by respecting one another - especially the visiting team - and remember that we are always representing Charles DeWolf Middle School and the community values we are so proud of.
I look forward to seeing you at our games!
Reminder to all spectators:
Respect the game officials
No taunting or singling out players
No rude or inappropriate behavior
No disrespectful comments to anyone
No spectators on the field (or court) of play
Cheer in a positive fashion
CDW Learning in Action...
Chromebook Insurance Information
*Grade 8 students: This will be the picture that is used for the 2023 Yearbook.
CDW Media Center Website
National Junior Honor Society Information for Current 7th Grade Students
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) at Charles DeWolf Middle School is open to any seventh grade student who meets all the following membership requirements at the end of the third marking period in 2023:
- Has a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.70 in academic (social studies, language arts, math, science and Spanish) subjects, with no grade below a B- in any subject (including cycle classes) for ALL marking periods of the 2022-2023 school year.
- Demonstrates outstanding scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship.
- Accumulates no more than six unexcused tardies. Tardies will only be considered excused if a doctor's note is submitted to the School Nurse.
- Accumulates no detentions related to behavior in violation of the CDW Code of Conduct.
- Performs eight hours of documented community service from a recognized nonprofit, community, or education organization from 9/1/2022-4/21/2023. Virtual service hours will no longer be accepted. Please note that there will be no extension of this date. Students should provide documentation on the organization’s letterhead when submitting their applications in April.
- Completes at least three marking periods of the 7th grade year at CDW (unless a student moves into district and has been inducted as a member in another district).
During the week of April 24, 2023, eligible students will be identified and invited to apply
for admission to the NJHS by email. An email will also be sent to parents of eligible
students. The induction ceremony will be held during the week of May 15, 2023 (subject to
Lunch at CDW
Students should either bring their lunch from home each day, or parents may order through one of the approved vendors for delivery to CDW. If you order lunch from an approved vendor for delivery, please make sure the vendor knows your child's first and last name and grade level. This will help to ensure your child receives their lunch on time. At times, we understand that a parent/guardian may need to drop off lunch at school. All lunches need to be placed on the table with the green tablecloth in the vestibule.
5th/6th Grade Lunch ~ 11:27AM-12:01 PM
7th/8th Grade Lunch ~ 12:10PM-12:44 PM
Morning Drop-Off and Afternoon Pick-Up at CDW
- Drop-off is on Interschool Drive. As soon as you reach the cones, please have your child(ren) exit the vehicle.
- For the safety of all students, we ask that you stay in your vehicle at drop-off and dismissal.
- Please do not use the upper faculty parking lot for drop-off/pick-up/or exiting of school grounds during school hours. CDW faculty and BOE-approved bus companies are the only vehicles permitted in the upper lot.
- Please do not park in any staff parking spots when dropping off or picking up students.
- Please do not exit your vehicle and leave your vehicle unattended on Interschool Drive.
- There will be adult supervision starting at 8:10 AM, and the doors will open at 8:20 AM. If there is inclement weather, students will be ushered into the school gymnasiums at 8:00 AM.
- The students in Grades 5 & 6 will line up on the blacktop in the back of the school near the basketball courts.
- The students in Grades 7 & 8 will line up on the blacktop by the 7th and 8th Grade Wing Exterior Door.
- Once you pull up to the cones on Interschool Drive, please have your child(ren) exit the vehicle. This allows many students to be dropped off at the same time and allows the line to move quickly.
- Please do not park in any staff parking spots when dropping off or picking up students.
- Please do not block any parking spots along the front side of the building at Pick-Up.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
- Please use both lanes on Interschool Drive for Pick-Up. A staff member will be available to cross your child(ren).
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Start Strong Standardized Assessments
- On Tuesday, September 20th, the students in Grades 5-8 will take the NJ Start Strong Math Assessment.
- On Wednesday, September 21st, the students in Grades 5-8 will take the NJ Start Strong Language Arts Assessment.
- On Wednesday, September 22nd, the students in Grade 6 will take the NJ Start Strong Science Assessment.
Score reports, which we will be available in the fall, will give teachers a reading on which students need support with which NJ Student Learning Standards. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will receive score reports, too. The score reports will consist of the following components:
1. Overall Performance
2. Performance Levels
- Strong Support May Be Needed
- Some Support May Be Needed
- Less Support May Be Needed
Lunch Vendors Are Back!
Join the PTO!
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO and what we are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.