Welcome Back to School
Sandoval Academy of Bilingual Education - August 2021
Our mission at Sandoval Academy of Bilingual Education is to enable students to maintain their native language, reconnect with their heritage language, or discover a new enriching language. Students will attain Spanish and English fluency and literacy through two-way immersion, which will expand their worldview and educational and career opportunities.
A Message from the Principal, Mrs. Jackie Rodriguez
Hello SABE Family!
Welcome to our new families and Welcome Back to our returning families! I hope you are well and have had a good summer. It has been a great summer of planning and although the global pandemic is still posing challenges, our focus remains clear. We are here to serve our students academically and emotionally to the highest extent possible. I am proud and honored to serve our students, staff, parents, and community at large for the greater good of our community.
Our SABE team are committed to making a positive difference. I believe that our teachers and staff have the ZEST needed to impact the lives of our students. I also believe that our students and staff can do “virtually” anything when we walk in our purpose and are focused on the main thing!
I do not doubt that parents and students are eager to get back to school.
It will be important that we remain flexible as things change. We will work diligently to keep you promptly informed throughout the school year. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us and we will do our best to assist you. Any questions about the COVID safety protocols and procedure, please email email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for your support and partnership!
I apologize for not providing you this imfornation much sooner, however, we only received the new and updated guidance from the NMPED a few days ago and I wanted to make sure the information we were providing you was accurate. Thank you for your patience!
For information on the NM Public Education Department's guidance, click on the link below:
Jackie Rodriguez, MA
Our Dual Language Program
We also pride ourselves in knowing our students, families and community. We genuinely care for our students and their well-being, not just academically, but socially, emotionally and for their safety. Our teachers and staff are provided support in how best to meet the needs of every student in our school and we look forward to continuing to support your child!
Important Dates-Mark Your Calendar
We use ClassDojo, our Facebook SABE Parents page, School Messenger, and these monthly newsletters to provide our SABE family information. Please be sure we have your correct addresses (home, phone numbers, and email) so you are getting our message. Any changes must be made by submitting the printed form, link is below, with a wet signature to our front office. Please call Mrs. Gallegos, our school registrar, if you have further questions. Please download ClassDojo and look for an invite from the school very soon to add your student and you to our classes!
- Wednesday, August 4th at 6-8 p.m.
Students with last names ending in A - L, please plan on attending from 6-7pm
Student with last names ending in M - Z, please plan on attending from 7-8pm
At this time, all students in 2nd - 8th grade will sign up for the student testing to be held on Thursday, August 5th and Friday, August 6th.
- Thursday-Friday, August 5th or 6th
Student Support Days
Please arrange to bring your child to school at their designated time and drop-off Zone indicated on the sign up form you complete at the Meet the Teacher Day.
- Monday, August 9th
First Day of School
Drop off will begin at 7:30am and students will be greeted and escorted to their classrooms. At this time, we will not be allowing parents or visitors into the school. We will make those decisions and share when we will begin our volunteering, classroom, and school visits. Again, our staff and student safety is always first! Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please see below for more information on the student drop-off and pick-up procedures.
Kindergarten Send-Off Breakfast
Kindergarten parents can escort their children to the cafeteria area where their child's teacher will pick them up and escort them to their classroom while you can grab a coffee, muffin or snack. There might be tears...but the coffee will help.
Meet Our Staff
Please welcome our new staff members:
- Ms. Mireya Gonzalez, Kindergarten Spanish Teacher
- Ms. Jenna Trujillo, Kindergarten English Educational Assistant
- Ms. Dorothy York, 1st Grade English Teacher
- Mrs. Astrid Lovato, 2nd Grade Bilingual Teacher
- Mr. Ryan Broser, 3rd Grade English Teacher
- Ms. Emily Sims, 4th & 5th Grade English Teacher
- Ms. Yesenia Garcia, Middle School Spanish Teacher
- Mr. Richard Lara, Middle School Educational Assistant & SEL Support Teacher
- Mrs. Camila Nolasco, Speech/Language Teacher & Support Teacher
- Mrs. Sarah Farrell, Spanish Music Teacher
- Mrs. Johanna Guerrero, Physical Education Teacher
Welcome back our returning staff:
- Mrs. Jackie Rodriguez, Executive Director/Principal
- Mrs. Felicitas Reyes, Assistant Principal & Special Services Director
- Mrs. Karina Snodgrass, Office & Attendance Clerk
- Mrs. Ada Gallegos, Registrar & Nurse Assistant
- Ms. Alice Banks, Program Coordinator/Gifted Program Teacher/ESL Teacher
- Ms. Kristina Smith, Kindergarten English Teacher
- Mrs. Celeste Figueroa, Kindergarten Spanish Educational Assistant
- Mrs. Ivonne Sainvilmar, 1st Grade Spanish Teacher
- Mrs. Esther Byrd, 2nd Grade Bilingual Teacher
- Ms. Mili Geisel, 3rd Grade Spanish Teacher
- Mrs. Alejandra Dares-Rodriguez, 4th & 5th Grade Spanish Teacher
- Mrs. Tamara Wilburn, Middle School English Teacher
- Ms. Kenisha Valdez, Special Education Teacher
- Mr. Andrew Walker, Custodian
We are excited for the new year with new faces and a full back to school program! We are excited to see you at our Meet the Teacher event!
Our School Day
Monday - Thursday
7:30-7:55 Drop Off
7:30-8:15 Breakfast in the Classroom
8:00 Instructional Day Begins
11:00-1:00 Lunch Block
3:05-3:20 Pick Up
7:30-7:55 Drop Off
7:30-8:15 Breakfast in the Classroom
8:00 Instructional Day Begins
11:00-12:15 Lunch Block
12:15-12:30 Pick Up
Breakfast & Lunch Program
If your child has any food allergies, medical or religious restrictions, please contact our lunch program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to establish a plan to accommodate your child.
Student School Supplies
The only items that students need to come with are:
- fillable water bottle (please wash often)
- small hand sanitizer bottle
- 2 disposable or reusable masks (please was often)
Dress Code Expectations
Also, masks will be required for every student. Our Governing Council did vote unanimously to adhere to this CDC recommendation. All staff will also be required to wear masks.
Before School Care & After School Care & Clubs
We will send a video very soon showing you where to drop your child off and where to pick them up. We are finalizing the map and route due to some changes in our parking areas. Thank you!
New NMPED/NMDOH Guidelines for Back-to-School COVID Safety Protocols
Much like last year, we are required to follow the guidelines set forth by the New Mexico Public Education Department and State of New Mexico. We are very fortunate that we had a very successful and safe year last year and we know that it will be more successful this year, of course with your help and support.
Here are a few of the main points:
- All students and staff are required to wear masks at all times, except when eating and when outside
- Social distancing of 3 feet or more is recommended at all times
- Students who are symptomatic must remain home and report it to the school, and the child will have to remain home for the 10 day period to rule out COVID19, it is highly recommended that the child be tested for COVID19
- Sharing of equipment, including books and shared classroom materials can happen with hand washing/sanitizing in between
Please see the tree below that provides the recommendations when a staff or student experiences COVID19 symptoms:
Opt-In to Student Surveillance Testing
Safety Protocols @ SABE
- Staff is trained in cleaning, disinfecting and COVID safe practices
- MERV-13 air filtration filters in heating and cooling systems
- Air purification devices throughout the school
- Hand sanitation stations throughout the school
- Protocols for reporting COVID19 positive cases to school community
- Protocols for safely sending symptomatic students and staff home
- Access to COVID19 testing locations
- Ongoing training for all staff
- Signage around the building in both English and Spanish
- Large inventory of Personal Protective Equipment for staff and students
- Daily screening protocols
- Disinfection practices
- Limitations on volunteers or visitors to enter the school
- Maintaining cohorts of students as much as possible
Communication is Important
Please check ClassDojo often and it is a quick way to get information that is needed!