19th century, 1860s-1880s
- started in France and inspired people throughout Europe
- Edouard Manet, Camille Pissaro, Edgar Degas, Alfred Sisley,Claude Monet,Berthe Morisot,Pierre Auguste and Vincent Van Gogh
- Le Dejeuner sur I'Herbe by Edouard Manet, By the sea by August Renoir, Starry night by Vincent Van Gogh
- Impressionism is a type of art that doesn't have to be exact.
- Impressionists captured effects of light, weather changes, and shifts in the atmosphere.
- They loosened their brush and lightened their paint to make artwork more pure.
- They quit using linear progression and clarity of form that showed elements of a picture, this is why many impressionist's paintings looked unfinished and amateur
3 facts about impressionism
- In 1874 a group of artist called the Anonymous Society of Painters, sculpters, paintmakers, etc.
- The name Impressionism came from the title of a Claude Monet piece called "Impression, So'leil Levant (Impression Sunrise)
- An artist couldn't get artwork into the Paris Salon unless passed by the Academies "jury"