LV Intermediate Parent Newsletter
September 28, 2018
September 28 Six Weeks Ends - Check progress on Parent Connect
October 1 First Project Vinatta Meeting from 3:00-3:50
October 2 Campus Educational Improvement Committee Meeting at 6:00pm
October 5 Last Day to Buy an Intermediate T-Shirt
October 8 Columbus Day- No School
October 9 Title I Reading and Math Parent Meeting at 6:00PM
October 9 Leaders in Action Applications (5th Graders only)Due
October 18 First Leaders in Action Meeting
October 22-26 Red Ribbon Week Activities
November 12 Veteran's Day Program --Intermediate Choir performing
November 13 Fourth and Fifth Grade Field Trip to Austin Spurs Game
Reach for the Stars...Believe It to Achieve It
UIL Academic Sign-Ups have Begun
Lago Vista is excited about UIL for our 4th and 5th Graders! We had our Kick Off Rally on Wednesday, September 26, and sign-up sheets are posted in the hallway on the Intermediate campus. Students may begin signing up for events on September 27. The coach of each event will notify students and parents of their practice schedule.
The Writing contests will take place on each home campus prior to the January 25 meet and will be held during the regular school day. The District Elementary Academic Meet for Grades 2-5 will be at Lago Vista Elementary on Friday, January 25. The other schools competing in our district this year are Blanco and Johnson City.
Please take a look at the list of events on the bottom of this page, discuss UIL with your child, and encourage them to try-out for any events that interest them. Students may sign up for more than one event, but the contest times cannot conflict. We will have more information on event times and conflicts in the upcoming weeks.
Feel free to go to the UIL website for detailed information about each event: http://www.uiltexas.org/aplus/events
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via email.
Thank you for supporting our UIL students and coaches!
UIL Academic Coordinator
GRADE / EVENT
4th Grade Ready Writing
4th Grade Oral Reading
4th Grade Music Memory
4th Grade Art
4th Grade Number Sense
4th Grade Spelling
5th Grade Ready Writing
5th Grade Oral Reading
5th Grade Music Memory
5th Grade Dictionary
5th Grade Art
5th Grade Listening
5th Grade Number Sense
5th Grade Spelling
5th Grade Maps, Graphs, and Charts
Intermediate School T-Shirts
They are blue with gold lettering and include this year's theme "Reaching For the Stars." They are only $15 and run from size YXS to AXXXL. We are hoping that our students wear them to the Austin Spurs Field trip to show our Lago Spirit. Order deadline is October 5th, 2018. Get yours while you can!
Do you know our Redo/Retest Policy?
1. Students who receive a 79% or lower on a daily assignment will have one opportunity to redo an equivalent assignment, as determined by the teacher, for a maximum grade of 79%. Students may not redo assignments for which they received a zero due to not completing or turning it in.
2. Students must initiate the process to redo an assignment. Emailed requests from parents to redo an assignment will not be accepted. Handwritten parent notes presented to the teacher by the student will be accepted in Grades 2-5. The ultimate goal is to create learners who are able to be effective self-advocates.
3. Students must complete the “redo” assignment in the calendar week after the failing grade was earned. (For example, whether a student earns a failing grade on Tuesday or Friday, they must complete the re-test by the end of the following week. This is the case, even in the event of “short” weeks containing fewer than 5 days.)
4. Assignments may be given as a home assignment or redone at school. The teacher will determine which option is most appropriate for each assignment.
5. A student may earn up to a 79% on their redo of the assignment.
6. A student may not earn a grade lower than the original grade.
Managing Stress Article
Stress may adversely affect student health, happiness and school performance. Here are some tips to help your child manage stress:
"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer." - Albert Einstein
Thanks Lago Vista Intermediate Families
A big shout out to the following families that participated in the Write A Check fundraiser:
Solid Technology Solutions Inc.
Morris familyYork family
Painter Bowler family
Keister- Herrod family
Randels familyFowler family
STAYALERT SYSTEM REMINDER!
Lago Vista ISD uses StayALERT to help keep our schools safe. StayALERT is a bilingual, confidential website, e-mail, phone and texting avenue for students, teachers, staff, parents and community members to be able to confidentially report unsafe behaviors, suspicious activities, bullying, acts of violence, harassment, and a host of other potential disruptors to school safety.
Users may anonymously report concerns 24-7-365 via the StayALERT website, an e-mail, a phone call to a recorded and monitored line, or via a text message from a cell phone. Photos and video clips pertaining to the StayALERT report may be included. No special app required! Reportable information will be forwarded in a timely manner to a pre-designated school official for review.
To make a report, use one of the methods below:
Call or Text: (206) 406-6485