October 30, 2019
WEEK AT A GLANCE
The Week Ahead
10/31 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
10/31 Bonfire Party Marching Band Practice Field 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
11/1 RHS @ Woodstock Marching Band Band Room 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM
11/2 White Columns Invitational Marching Band Milton HS 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
11/4 JEEP RAFFLE DEADLINE All
11/4 Winter Guard Auditions Winter Guard Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11/6 Winter Guard Auditions Winter Guard Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11/6 LATE DROP OFF Jeep Raffle Tickets (sold and unsold) All Band Room (lobby)
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
11/6 Jazz Band Auditions All Band Room 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
11/7 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
11/8 Hall Band Marching Band Band Room 7:30 AM - 8:10 AM
11/8 Senior Picnic Marching Band Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM
11/8 RHS vs. Etowah (Senior Night) Marching Band Band Room 6:00 PM - 11:30 PM
11/9 FINAL DROP OFF Jeep Raffle Tickets (sold and unsold) All
Roof Depot / 705 Hembree Parkway
11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
11/11 Indoor Drumline Auditions All Band Room 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM
11/11 RHS BBA Exec. Board Meeting Board Media Center 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
11/14 Rehearsal Marching Band Practice Field 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
11/14 IDL Auditions All Band Room 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
11/15 DEADLINE: Spring Trip permission slip/first deposit All
MARCHING BAND REMINDERS
NO HALL BAND this friday
FOOTBALL GAME RHS @ WOODSTOCK - 11/1
For all students who purchased a 3rd quarter meal for the Walton game, that meal will be rolled over to the first home play-off game.
FIRE, FOOD, FUN AND FRIENDSHIP – 10/31
To celebrate Halloween, we will be holding a bonfire party after Marching Band practice on 10/31. Students are welcome to stay until 9:00 PM. (Participation is optional.)
Parents: please sign-up to provide some candy and baked goods for the kids. https://www.charmsoffice.com/charms/volunteer.asp?v=4786342
WHITE COLUMNS INVITATIONAL
Join us on November 2nd for the 2019 White Columns Invitational at Milton High School!
10:00 AM REHEARSAL
11:30 AM Lunch and Pack
12:30 PM Meet in Band Room
1:00 PM Depart
2:20 PM Warm Up
3:20 PM SHOWTIME!
10:00 PM Awards
11:00 PM Arrive at Roswell
Milton High School, 13025 Birmingham Highway, Milton, GA 30004
● Gates open @ 2:00 PM. Parking is free.
● General Admission is $10
● Seniors (65+) and Students (4-12) $7
● Children under 4 free
Visit http://miltonband.org/wci for maps, full schedule and concession prices.
SENIOR PICNIC – 11/8
All marching band seniors and their parents are invited to attend our annual Senior Picnic before the Roswell/Etowah football game (4 PM-6 PM). We’ll have the grill set up for some hot dogs and hamburgers and offer other yummy treats. Come celebrate another amazing marching band season with the Roswell Swarm! (Participation is optional.)
3:30 PM Picnic set-up begins (outside - behind band room at picnic tables)
4:00 PM Picnic begins
5:30 PM Senior speeches take place in the Band Room
7:00 PM Band will parade into stadium
8:00 PM Just before 2nd Quarter begins, line up on track by the Visitors’ Concession Stand
Halftime Senior Night Festivities on the field
Post Game Last performance of the competitive show!
SENIOR PARENTS: If your student is participating in the halftime festivities (i.e., being escorted onto the field), you must complete this form by Friday, November 1!
Attire is business casual for parents. Seniors may wear Camo to the picnic and game.
If you DO NOT have a senior graduating this year, we need your help! In order for our senior parents to enjoy the event with their students, please offer to volunteer and assist where needed. Thank you!
INDOOR DRUMLINE AUDITIONS – 11/11 and 11/14
Indoor Drumline is starting very soon! Auditions are scheduled for 11/11 and 11/14 in the band room. The ensemble practices after school several days per week, and several Saturdays from November-March. The focus is engagement of percussion and visual techniques, and performances are held in the gym. Competitions are held on Saturdays throughout the spring semester. The Indoor Drumline competes at local, state, and national level competitions. Questions about IDL? Email Mark Kapral at email@example.com.
To audition, be sure to fill out the form below to reserve your spot!
Winter Guard Auditions
Winter Guard Auditions will take place Monday, November 4 and Wednesday, November 6 from 4 PM - 6 PM in the Band Room. The Winter Guard performs to pre-recorded music in gymnasiums from November until April. This activity combines modern dance with flag, rifle and sabre choreography. Membership is open to any student at Roswell High School. Winter Guard performers typically rehearses 2-3 days a week, with occasional Saturday rehearsals. They compete on Saturdays in the Southern Association of Performance Arts (SAPA) and Winter Guard International circuits (WGI).
DID YOU KNOW…
· Winter Guard, Percussion and Winds are the fastest growing of the marching arts.
· Winter Guard now exists in the United States, Canada, Belgium, Holland, Germany, England, Ireland, Korea, Japan, and Africa.
· WGI has awarded over $750,000 in academic scholarships to students from competing units.
· Many of the percussion companies are now developing instruments specifically for the indoor activity.
· Hundreds of high school marching bands benefit from the skills developed by winter programs.
Check out www.wgi.org to learn more about this incredible art.
CLASSROOM BAND REMINDERS
HORNET JAZZ BAND
The Roswell High Jazz Band is an auditioned group of trumpets, trombones, saxophones and rhythm section students that studies a wide variety of jazz ensemble literature. We will hold most practices on Wednesday evenings from 5:00-8:00 PM except when school isn’t in session. First session is Wednesday, 11/6.
We will hold a December band concert, a Mardi Gras concert, 2-3 community performances in early spring (all in Roswell), and a May band concert. There is no additional fee for Jazz Band!
Schedule for 11/6:
5:00 - 6:40 PM Individual Assessments: NEW THIS YEAR!
6:45 - 8:00 PM First Session of the Year - Handout/go over syllabus, schedule, and form(s)
SIGN UP FOR YOUR TIME SLOT ON THE LIBRARY DOOR STARTING MONDAY 11/04!
Questions about Jazz Band? Email Hardin Butcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SPRING BAND TRIP 2020
We are pleased to announce that the Roswell Band has been approved to attend a trip to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Animal Kingdom in Orlando, FL. The Spring Band Trip will take place March 15-19, 2020.
On this trip, our students will attend a Universal Studios Movie Music Workshop, co-sponsored by the National Education Association for Music Education. Students will learn how film scoring works, learn how sound effects are created and record part of The Lorax soundtrack with the movie.
All band students received a Trip Memo on Friday, 10/25 to take home to their parents and guardians. Extra copies are in the band hallway. Permission slips and first deposits are due November 15, 2019. Here is a link to the information: https://tinyurl.com/Spring-Trip-2020
BAND BOOSTERS UPDATES
Did you carve a pumpkin this year?
Be sure to carve out time on Sunday, 11/3 and make it RHS BAND JEEP DAY!
It’s not only the end of Daylight Savings Time, but the end of our campaign.
● 5 DAYS TO GO! Let’s finish strong in this final week of the biggest fundraiser in the band’s history. A JEEP will be given away on November 16 at Ed Voyles! It’s a fundraiser to benefit all programs! We are raising money to buy our own semi-trailer that will help carry much needed instruments for competitions for our marching band and indoor bands.
● Over 1,600 tickets have been distributed to the membership but are yet to be sold and turned back in. Many families who haven’t sold their tickets at this point simply just went ahead and bought the remaining tickets for themselves since the prize is so massive!
● We want to make sure you are aware that all raffle tickets, sold and unsold, are due back Monday, November 4th. It’s mandatory to turn in ALL of your tickets with the money in the envelope we first gave you. If not available, use your own envelope and be sure your student’s name is written on the outside.
● Any unsold tickets will definitely need to be turned back in by 11/4. Per Ed Voyles, members are financially responsible for tickets lost or not turned back in.
● The target is for each student to sell 45 tickets. Aim for 45 if you are able. Sell the tickets we gave you and keep going! Any additional tickets can be sold on line at RoswellBand.com
● We have good news about the deadline! If you are able to sell what you have, but need a bit more time, we will still accept your tickets and money on:
o Wed 11/6 from 6:00 to 7:30 pm in the Band Room
o Sat 11/9 from 11am to 4pm at Roof Depot located at 705 Hembree Pkwy, Roswell, GA 30076. Our team will be there logging orders.
● We are giving out student incentives and prizes like Amazon Gift Cards. For example, selling 35 raffle tickets gets you a $20 Amazon Gift Card. Grand Prize will be a choice of an iPad/Nintendo Switch/$300 AMEX Gift Card.
Congratulations to the winners of our Weekly Student Incentives! We will continue to hold weekly drawings through November 8. For every 10 ticket stubs turned in, the student’s name goes into the drawing.
● Week 1 – Brianna Jones
● Week 2 – Nikki Burkhart
● Week 3 - Leah Taylor
● Week 4 – Carlo Dal Cerro
● Week 5 – Josh Cordero
● Week 6 – Matt Hartigan
● Week 7 – Bradley Willis
● Week 8 – Luke Jenstead
NOMINATING COMMITTEE NEEDED FOR 2020 BOARD
We are seeking one more parent volunteer to serve on this year’s Nominating Committee to help place our new Executive Board for 2020. If you would like to help and/or know of someone who would be a good nominee that may like to serve on next year’s Executive Board, reach out to: email@example.com. The committee will only operate until a slate for the Executive Board for 2020 is completed. (Estimated time you would serve on the Nominating Committee is 1-2 months.)
The Nominating Committee is traditionally made up of general association members (non-Executive Board) who provide a short list of active members interested in running for the Executive Board. Of the current members of the Executive Board, we will be actively seeking new members for:
● VP of Ways and Means – Strategize and implement programs to raise financial capital
● VP of Support Services – Champions efforts to ensure we have proper human capital and support across our programs
● Director of Communications – Leader of member communications; ensure maximum use of our various channels
Co-VP-ships are also possibilities. For example, we are open to adding a Co-Treasurer even with one Treasurer ready to serve for 2020.
The other positions on the board all have volunteers willing to return in those spots.
Nominations will be reviewed at the November Executive Board meeting scheduled for 11/11.
NOVEMBER 2019 (REMAINING)
● 11/13 – Jazz Band Rehearsal @ 5:00 PM
● 11/14 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
● 11/14 – Indoor Drumline Auditions @ 5:00 PM
● 11/15 – Deadline for Spring Trip (permission slip, first deposit)
● 11/15 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
● 11/18 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
● 11/19 - Fulton County Honor Band (Centennial HS)
● 11/20 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
● 11/21 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00*
● 11/22 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
● 11/25 - Thanksgiving Break begins
● 12/4 - Concert Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM
● 12/5 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
● 12/5 - Winter Concert @ 7:00 PM
● 12/6 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
● 12/12 - Marching Band Rehearsal @ 4:00 PM*
● 12/13 - Football Post-Season Games (TBD) @ 5:00 PM
● 12/14 - All State 1st Round Auditions/District Honor Band (Alpharetta HS)
● 12/21 - Movie at Aurora @ 12:00 p.m. “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
● 12/23 - Holiday Break Begins
* for post-season football games