OAISD Health and Physical Education
Winter, 2023 Newsletter
OAISD Health and Physical Education Mission Statement
Moments to Celebrate 🙌
SHAPE Michigan Health and Young Professional Teachers of the Year
Each year, the SHAPE Michigan honors teachers from across the state for their outstanding contributions to the field of Health and Physical Wellness Education. This year, the State of Michigan honored two local teachers, Mrs. Robin Ruby, as the 2022 Health Teacher of the Year Award (West Ottawa) and Mr. Logan Curry for the 2022 Young Professional Award (Martin).
Robin has been at West Ottawa for 24 years and has been involved in numerous health and physical wellness initiatives. Check out the article written about her from her district.
Our sincerest congratulations to both of them for honors well-deserved!
Michigan Model for Health
- The preK-12 MMH curriculum addresses CASEL's Social Emotional Learning Competencies and the Health Education standards. Is SEL a priority in your district? Check out how MMH curriculum aligns with SEL here.
- Curriculum and materials are rich with opportunities to address State Standards in reading and writing.
- Research studies show students that receive the Michigan Model for Health Curriculum have stronger communication skills, better skills in managing their feelings and actions, improved attitudes about taking actions to stay safe and stronger drug and tobacco refusal skills.
- MMH Curriculum is now available digitally - check it out here!
Interested in using the MMH in your classroom? Reach out to Stacey Sills to get started.
Already using Michigan Model for Health?
- All Michigan Model assessments for grades 2-12 are now available as Google Forms. For access to these assessments, view the following link with information and complete the agreement form.
- Looking for ways to increase how trauma responsive your MMH lessons are? Take a look at the resources the Mi-LEAP project have found to help: https://mishca.org/2022/01/26/mi-leap-resources/
NEW MMH Portal
- MMH continues to evolve to meet the online needs of its health education partners. The MMH portal is a one stop shop for all of our partners with a new landing page and links to the digital curriculum for current users and easy to navigate resources.
Contact List for Health and Physical Education Teachers
NEXT SESSION: Skills for Having Difficult Conversations
Esther Triggs, Interlochen Center for the Arts
Having difficult conversations is important but can be challenging. Join us to discuss the skills for having difficult conversations.
Date: January 19, 2023
Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tall Cop Says Stop Webinars
January 31, 2023 - Evolving Vape Trends, Delta 8, Delta 10, Cannabis and More Taught by: Tall Cop Jermaine Galloway
February 13, 2023 - High in Plain Sight: Drug Trends and More Taught by: Tall Cop Jermaine Galloway
March 27, 2023 - School Based Drug & Concealment Trends Taught by: Tall Cop Jermaine Galloway
These each cost $35, but if you'd like to attend, please email me and I can send you a code to cover the cost of registration. Please let me know if you have any questions.
S & S Printable January Fitness Calendar
The calendar is a great resource that teachers can share with students or parents can share with their kids and encourage them to stay active during the school year.
S & S teamed up with the Alliance For A Healthier Generation to create this fitness calendar for the month of October 2022. Here is the link to the download:
FREE Stay Well Materials
Michigan’s Stay Well program was launched at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic to provide Michiganders with services and resources to help them cope with pandemic-related anxiety and/or distress. As new COVID-19 variants emerge, new stressors may develop or old stressors may remain – there are simple “grounding exercises” that can help you, in the moment, to re-focus and calm yourself.
As part of Stay Well’s new ‘Create your Calm ’ campaign, they are making available a few items – stickers, magnets, and posters - to remind you and your employees of these grounding exercises that can be done anytime, wherever you are.
Please use the order form attached to select how many Create Your Calm stickers, magnets, posters, or brochures you would like to order for your organization. These materials are available for free and will be shipped at no cost to your location.
Please send completed order forms to WallaceE3@michigan.gov.