By: Cayla Simmons
The battle of Marathon
WHAT WAS THE CAUSE?
1. Persians wanted to conquer Greece
2.Hippias was angry that the Athenians had thrown him out, and he was hoping to get back into power in Athens with Persian help. (Tyrant)
3.Persia wanted to extend its territory
HOW COULD THE CONFLICT HAVE BEEN AVOIDED?
This conflict couold've been avoided if Persia could've just been happy iwth the land they had and didnt try to do the most because they had no buisness trying to take over Greece
Another way this could've been avoided is if Hippias wasn't such a tyrant and didn't bring the persians into this problem knowing thry already wnated to conquer Greece
WHO WAS INVOLVED IN THIS CONFLICT?
Hippias -The tyrant
Ionians - greeks helped then revolt from persians
WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?
Persians wanted to conquer Greece
WHERE DID THIS CONFLICT TAKE PLACE?
The Battle of Thermopylae
-fought between alliance of city states
-led by king leodas of sparta and the persian empire of xerxes I
- took place with the battle at artemisium during 480 BC
- response to the first persian invasion, in which the persians wanted to defeat the Athenians in the end the athenians won in victory
- battle of thernopylae could have been avoided if the battle of marathon hadn't occured at all because thermopylae was a response to thr persains defeat
The battle of Salmais
-naval battle fought between city-states
- took place in 480 BC in the straits of piraeus and salmis near Athens
- The Athenians fled to Salmis bc of the outcome of battle Thermopylae
- the greeks had 300 + ships
-athenians tricked thre persians and let the persians burn their city (parthenon on the acroplis)
-this battle could've been avoided if the battle of Thermopylae didnt occur bc it ws a response