Penne with Chicken and Asparagus
Soriana Salloum Mod 2
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried penne pasta
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves-- cut into cubes
- salt & pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch slender asparagus spears-- trimmed, cut on diagonal into one-inch pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup paramesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.
- Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Then stir in asparagus, garlic, and a pinch more garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover, and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.
- Stir chicken mixture into pasta, and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Why is This Dish Healthy?
This dish is healthy for a few reasons. First of all, it has a low calorie amount for a dinner dish, 332 calories per serving. It also has a low sugar content of 3 grams per serving. This recipe is also rich in protein with 16.7 grams per serving. This recipe includes asparagus which is a healthy vegetable. If you wanted to make this recipe even healthier, you could substitute the regular penne pasta for whole-wheat pasta. You could also add other vegetables, such as broccoli or mushrooms.