By Julia Sawicki
Other Biotechnological Uses
two protein chains that are encoded by separate genes in plasmids and
inserted into bacteria. The protein chains are then chemically joined to form the final result, which is insulin! Biotechnology is so useful, even in agriculture. Plants can be modified to tolerate specific herbicides, plant diseases, and insects! Lastly, biotechnology can be used in environmental clean up, which is called bio-remediation. Bio-remediation is used when an environment is polluted and needs help. It enhances the growth of pollution-eating microbes already living at the contaminated site, or specialized microbes are added to lessen the contaminant.
Negative Impacts of Biotechnology ):
- it can create superior viruses that can wipe out huge populations
- can cause allergic reactions when people eat the biotechnologic plants
- some long-term affects are unknown
- it presents new dangers
- there might be political problems
- changes in geography of agricultural production
made by the use of biotechnology.
plant being injected with biotechnological substances such a recombinant DNA.
biotechnology uses DNA for paternity tests, crime scene investigations, and more!