Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of August 30-September 5
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
Jesus Teaches on the Mount
Do you ever worry?
Jesus went all throughout Galilee, teaching, healing, and telling people about God’s love. Large crowds of people from all over came to follow Him. One day, they followed Him up onto a mountain, and He began to teach them. We call the sermon recorded in Matthew 5–7 the Sermon on the Mount.
Jesus taught the people many things: He promised forgiveness for those who were sorry for their sins; He said, “You are the light of the world” when you show God’s love to others; He talked about the Ten Commandments and what they really meant; He taught the people a special prayer that we call the Lord’s Prayer.
Then Jesus told the people not to worry. Why shouldn't we worry? Jesus tells us why.
Heavenly Father, You know what is important for our lives. Help us to trust that You will take care of all our needs. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Jesus Teaches on the Mount
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Matthew 6:25–34 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- How does God take care of the birds and the flowers and all of creation?
- How does God take care of you?
- What does it mean to “Seek first the kingdom of God”?
- Taking our worries to Jesus calms our fears and give us peace. What are some of your worries? How can you give that worry over to Jesus?
God cares for all of creation by sending rain, sun, and all that plants and animals need to live and survive. God gives us food, shelter, families, and everything we need too.
Seeking the kingdom of God is putting all our trust in Jesus, our Savior and King, and acknowledging that God rules over, and cares for, all of creation.
Talk about worries that you sometimes have. You can take all your worries to Jesus in prayer. He always listens to you, He cares about you, and He can help calm your worries with His peace and love.
[God] cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear heavenly Father, thank You for taking care of us by daily providing all that we need. Remind us that we don’t need to worry, because You have our lives in Your hands. More than anything, we thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, to die for our sins. Help us to share Your love with others. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
Comments are recorded anonymously, and only Chapel of the Cross will see them.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment