World geography final exam review
By: Julia Hodgson
Population density- a measure of population of a nation per unit area.
Outsourcing- relocating your business to another country.
Subsistence farming- farming to feed your family.
Commercial farming- farming for profit.
Cultural assimilation- the process by which a person and group of people language and/or culture come to resemble those of another group.
Cultural hearth- a place where different culture's ideas and inventions diffuse.
Cultural diffusion- the spread of ideas, inventions, or behavioral patterns.
Urbanization- the movement of people from a rural area to a city.
Globalization- the idea of building a world economy.
Theocratic government- religious leader is ruler.
Democratic government- the people have the power.
Totalitarian government- a single person or party is in power.
Mixed economy- a economic system that in operates a mixture of public and privately owned businesses, while allowing owners to amass great wealth.
Command economy- a economic system that is completely controlled by the central government in order to regulate business and profit.
Free market economy- a economic system that allows total freedom with business owners to set prices, create products, and ultimately fail or succeed on their own.
Socialist economy- a economic system that has the government providing most of the important public services, but still permits private ownership of some businesses.
Primary activities: raw materials
Secondary activities: processing and manufacturing
Tertiary activities: professional services
Quaternary activities: high level decision making
Political map countries
- Costa Rica
- North Korea
- Republic of Congo
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- South Korea
Physical map physical features
- Andes mountains
- Baja California peninsula
- Balkan Peninsula
- Brazilian highlands
- Caucasus mountains
- Congo River
- Eastern European plain
- El Mogote peninsula
- Ganges River
- Gobi desert
- Great escarpment
- Great Rift Valley
- Hindu Kush
- Iberian peninsula
- Indus River
- Jutland peninsula
- Kalahari desert
- Namib desert
- Niger River
- Nile River
- Northern European plain
- Nubian desert
- Rocky Mountains
- Rub'al khali
- Scandinavian peninsula
- Serengeti plains
- Sierra madras
- Taklimakan desert
- Thal desert
- Ural Mountains
- Yangtze River
- Yellow River
- Yucatan peninsula
- Zambezi River
- Immigrants add to a diverse culture by bringing their beliefs and culture to another country, allowing the two cultures to mix.
- Mexico's biggest vent was the Spanish conquistadors exploring and colonizing it.
- The spread of e English language is a result of the global spread of the American culture.
- The American boarders are all either natural or man made.
- NAFTA and the EU were formed to increase economic cooperation between member nations.
- The Cold War continues to effect the political landscape of Europe because some countries are still aligned with Ruusia.
- The UN was created to promote international cooperation, achieve world peace, and offer humanitarian aid.
- Russia's foreign policy has been hampered because of it's cold climate and waters.
- The major change going on in Europe in 1989 was the diffusion of democratic ideals.
- After the EU is created, many people move to Europe in search of better jobs.
- The Sahara desert separates north and South Africa causing north Africa to be more advanced.
- Nelson Mandela was the leader in the fight against apartheid in South Africa.
- European colonization of South America and South Africa left them with political unrest, dictators, massive civil wars, and corrupt governments. Both regions gained independence as soon as they could.
- Africa is relatively poor due to a lack of infrastructure, no education, and no money.
- Israel's boarders have changed due to conflicts with their neighbors.
- Saudi Arabia is important due to its large oil reserves and Mecca.
- The Middle East are the desalinization leaders of the world due to a limited amount of freshwater.
- Most of China's population is located on the eastern coast.