Canada in 2060
What will it look like?
But will it continue to be that way? I think so for the following reasons :
- Lets face the facts; we are an empty country. We need more immigrants to fill the endless acres of land.
- Canada needs immigrants to keep its population from declining. The current fertility rate is 1.6 births per woman. That's not even enough to maintain the same population ! Fertility rate needs to be at 2 for the natural increase rate to be positive.
The video below shows one of the crisis faced by Canada due to a lack of population growth.
- And finally, studies in U.S.A and Canada have shown that immigrants increase job creation and improve economy. Immigrants, as a group, are generally better educated than native Canadians, especially since 1967 when the government introduced the point system. Canada is facing many shortages in its labor force and immigrants are the answer
Country Of Origin
Notable countries were China, India, Philippines, Pakistan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Middle East. Why has that Changed? I think that Europe's countries have improved drastically, and Canada no longer has the promise of free land or cheaper life.
However, in the crowded countries of Asia, people are still looking to escape political instability, war, poverty, persecution and many other factors. This has prompted them to immigrate to the west.
In 2060, I think that the following changes would have occurred:
- Asia will account for less than 40% of our immigrants. Asian countries are improving rapidly and may even surpass us someday due to their abundant labor force. Less people will immigrate from Asia.
- Africa will jump start its path on Immigration and provide us with 40% of our immigrants. Africa's economy is improving steadily. In the future, I believe more people in Africa can afford Immigration.
- The rest of the world will account for 20% of our immigrants.
About 28% of immigrants went to other urban areas and just 3% went to a rural area. The main reason of settling in these cities was the social support of families and friends. However, these are some other reasons:
- Toronto for jobs. You cant argue with a city of 2.1 million people, the largest in Canada. Toronto by far has Canada's largest job market.
- Vancouver for climate. Immigrants are typically scared of Canadian weather. And then they see nice warm Vancouver and they say,"That's the place for me."
- Montreal for language. People go to Montreal to learn French and English.
I think that these statistics will be the same in 2060, as Toronto will still have the most jobs, Vancouver will still be warm (hopefully), and Montreal will still be French.
- Free healthcare
- Peaceful atmosphere
- Diverse Culture
- Stable Economy
- Freedom of Speech
- Vast job opportunities
Luckily, we have our handy immigration department and high life expectancy so were not going to be wiped out in 10 years.
- Natural Increase Rate is currently 2.41. Our death rate is 7.87, our birth rate is 10.28. Since I predict the birth rate to stay the same and the death rate to decline. My guess is that our crude natural increase rate in 2060 will double to 5.0 (10-5).
- Our population growth rate is currently 1.2%. I expect that to increase to 2% because of the rise in natural increase rates.
- Our net migration rate will remain the same at 5.66 migrants per 1000 inhabitants.
- Canada will keep taking in 250,000 immigrants.
- Immigrants will go to the same places mostly
- Immigrants will come from Asia or Africa mostly
- Canada's birth rate will be the same
- Canada's death rate will go a bit higher and then return to current level
- Canada's population will reach 50 million.
- Canada's crude natural increase rate will double to 5%
- Our population growth rate will rise to 2%