Digging Deeper into Text Structures
All Teachers Grades 3-5
Our elementary students come to us needing instruction and guidance with comprehension and the skills of organizing information, determining what's important, and taking notes. They also need explicit instructions and modeling with how to write in a clear, organized manner to convey their ideas. Teachers at the elementary level are sometimes frustrated and at a loss to know how they can help their students with these vital literacy skills.
Julie Monetta, SIEC Director of Educator Support, is here to guide and support ALL teachers by demonstrating and sharing her expertise in these areas. Find out how to assist your students with these vital skills at the same time that you're teaching content.
Participants can expect the following takeaways and helps for the classroom:
- Introduction to the six text structures, with a method to make them comprehensible to students.
- Signal and transition words that assist with reading and writing
- Author's purpose and main text structure, as determined by text features
- Graphic organizers for:
- Writing exemplars and how to use them as models so students write more easily
- Speeches, lectures, and news segments: applying techniques to comprehend, synthesize, and make notes while listening to the spoken words
- Organization of ideas before writing, as well as creating flow in written pieces
This workshop is for both English and Content Area teachers at the elementary level (3-5)
Interested and wanting to learn more? Register today for this upcoming workshop on September 18, 2017 at the Huntingburg Event Center.
Monday, Sep. 18th, 9am to Tuesday, Sep. 19th, 3pm
Southern Indiana Education Center 1102 Tree Lane Drive, Jasper, IN 47546
*All times are Eastern time zone.
*Lunch is included in the registration.
*Each participant will receive a certificate for 6 Professional Growth Points.
*All participants should bring a laptop to use during the session.
*Registration fee is $75 per person for ESC members ($100 nonmembers)
*See registration link below.