Kitchen Fires: Risky Business

Don't perspire, prevent a kitchen fire!

There are a few causes for these serious situations!

  • Grease can splatter into fire.
  • Electrical cords can have exposed wires that cross and catch fire.
  • Electrical outlets or appliances can malfunction.
  • Foods can burn and catch fire.
  • Foods can drip or spill onto a heat source without your knowledge, if it overheats it can catch fire.

You can prevent most fires!

  • Make sure you don't have any exposed wires in your kitchen.
  • Repair with electrical tape or dispose of any appliances with exposed wires.
  • Watch food carefully and follow cook times given in recipes. Make sure food doesn't spill or burn.

What should I do if there is a fire?

  • Shut off any heat source involved if possible.
  • If it is a small fire, you can use a fire extinguisher, baking soda, or salt to put it out.
  • NEVER use water on a kitchen fire. If there is any grease involved, the water can splash the grease and cause it to and land on you.
  • If the fire is in a pot/pan put the lid on it. This will put the fire out.
  • Closing the door of a microwave, stove, or other heat source will also cause a fire to go out in most cases.
  • If a fire is large, evacuate the building and call the local emergency number.
  • If you are on fire, stop, drop, and roll.
Big image