(Vibrio cholerae infection)
Caused by the bacteria Vibrio cholerae.
- Spread by ingestion of contaminated water or food.
- Rare in the United States but most commonly found in Africa, Asia, and Haiti.
- rapid heart rate
- loss of skin elasticity
- Rehydration therapy (main treatment option)
- Antibiotic treatment (reduces duration of illness)
- Zinc treatment
- Estimated 1.4 to 4.3 million cases and 8000 to 142,000 deaths worldwide due to cholera each year.
- Up to 80% of cholera cases can be successfully treated with oral rehydration salts.
- Can be fatal if not treated
- Not directly transmitted