STRAWBERRY FUN FACTS
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- There is a museum in Belgium just for strawberries.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- Strawberries aren’t true berries, like blueberries or even grapes
What are the benefits of eating ANTIOXIDANTS?
Why Do some people need to eat low Glycemic foods?
What are the benefits of eating FIBER? What does it fight off?
- Keeps weight under control
ORIGIN OF THE STRAWBERRY
Strawberries were first discovered over 2,200 years ago. Strawberries grew wildly in Italy as long ago as 234 B.C. and were discovered in Virginia by the first Europeans when their ships landed there in 1588.
Early settlers in Massachusetts enjoyed eating strawberries grown by local American Indians who harvested strawberries as early as 1643. After 1860 strawberries were widely grown in many parts of the country.
Strawberries have been grown in California since the early 1900’s.