Weekly Memo: 12/14-12/18
"Overcoming Mediocrity and Redefining Excellence"
Message From: Ms. Stewart, Principal
NHACS Vision Statement & Instructional Focuses
2015/2016 Vision Statement...
2015/2015 Instructional Focuses...
- Student Engagement (student engagement refers to the degree of attention, curiosity, interest, optimism, and passion that students show when they are learning or being taught, which extends to the level of motivation they have to learn and progress in their education)
- Writing Across the Content Areas (writing across the content areas is designed to boost student's critical thinking skills by requiring them to write in all of their classes and not just in ELA. It is perfect for the Common Core because it requires all teachers to reinforce the benchmarks that ELA teachers traditionally have covered. i
- Rigorous Instruction (rigor is the goal of helping students develop the capacity to understand content that is complex, ambiguous, provocative, and personally or emotionally challenging)
Monday, December 14, 2015
- Ms. Martin (kindergarten - Tuskegee)
- Mr. Fynes (4th grade - Harvard)
- Ms. Richards (4th grade - Yale)
- Ms. Fraser (4th grade - NYU)
- Ms. Quashie (RTI/School Culture)
- Ms. Charles (Dean of Culture)
- Mrs. Schwartz (ELA Coach
Monthly Staff Meeting: 4:30pm-6:00pm (conference room)
- Instructional Staff PD 5:00pm-6:00pm: Before the PD you should: download the App: "Common Core Standards Mastery Connect" on your phone. Bring your laptop.
Walk-through Focus: Student Work Displayed - Focus Question: What story does the student work displayed tell about the teaching and learning taking place in the classroom? Immediate Feedback will be provided with Next Steps.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
- K-2 Common Planning with Mrs. Schwartz - Room 313
- Mock CSI Walkthrough with NYC Special Education Collaborative. The visit will provide feedback on areas of strengths and areas of improvement. The goal is to visit all classrooms to identify best practices across the school, analyze displayed student work, and to gather evidence aligned to the school's vision and instructional focuses for the year. Feedback will be provided within 48 hours of the visit.
- Grades 3-5 Only: ELA Constructed & Extended Response from NY Rehearsal Mock Exam must be graded and assessment trackers updated.
- By COB all feedback/next steps completed for bulletin boards. All Teacher Associates are granted permission to spend the instructional day grading assessments to update trackers and ensuring all student work displayed represents the story we want to tell about teaching and learning at New Hope.
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
- A Special Visitor is coming to New Hope. Our New Hope Best is expected which ultimately means students are engaged in learning through rigorous instruction and authentic student work is displayed throughout hallways and classrooms.
- All 1st and 2nd Grade iReady Assessments for ELA & Math completed. Please email if you anticipate any challenges with meeting this deadline.
- Parent Organization Bake Sale: Please support our school fundraisers
Thursday, December 17, 2015
- 3-5 Common Planning with Mrs. Schwartz - Room 313
- Coaching with Jeanette & Lyndsey from NYC Mathematics Project
- SGO & STEM Team Prep for Board Meeting
- Parent Organization Meeting at 6pm
- Board Meeting at 7pm. A representative from each grade level must be in attendance.
Friday, December 18, 2015
- Winter Wishes Extravaganza
- Ugly Sweater Day - Prizes will be awarded to the Teams who collectively have the ugliest sweaters.
- School Improvement Committee Meetings - Please email with your interest by Wednesday, 12/16. Joining a committee fast tracks you to becoming Highly Effective in Domain 4: Professional Responsibilities. The committees are as follow:
- Data & Assessment
- Curriculum & Instruction
- School Culture