CROC TALK BRIEF
Nancy Ryles Elementary Newsletter ~ December 11, 2020
SPIRIT WEAR - ORDERS DUE MONDAY!
You can order t-shirts and sweatshirts in both youth and adult sizes.
Email the completed order form or email your order details (type, size, quantity, contact information) to NRCO.firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon receipt of the order, you will receive a request for payment via PayPal. Payment is required for order processing.
Please note: Orders are due by Monday, December 14.
MAKER KITS AVAILABLE
Mr. Chung and Ms. Osborne will be handing out *optional* Maker Kits at Library to Go, The Future Box and The Book Bus next week!
Your kit will include a random assortment of supplies from the Makerspace. Get creative, use your imagination, and make something cool! When you have completed your project, take a photo, and upload it to our Maker Kit Photo Upload Page. We'll choose a few random ones to share at our next assembly!
Come to Library to Go, the Future Box, or the Book Bus on December 15, 16 or 17, and grab some library books and a Maker Kit! We will also have ornament kits donated by Home Depot! (while supplies last).
Photo Upload Page here: https://forms.gle/AqkNqsz5R5d3Usiy7
LOST AND FOUND - FINAL REMINDER
We will put the Lost and Found out again next Tuesday and Thursday (December 15 and 17) from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
We ask that you wear gloves, take turns and socially distance while looking through the clothing. Gloves will be available next to the Lost and Found racks.
Any clothing left after December 17 will be donated to the Beaverton Clothes Closet.
WONDER WEDNESDAY: December is about STEM on Wonder Wednesday. We’ll also have some fun STEM crafts coming out next week to entertain you over the break. Check out this quick video for some more details and don’t forget to share the link to Wonder Wednesday with your student!
OBOB: It’s time to sign your kiddo up for Oregon Battle of the Books, virtual style. OBOB is for 3rd through 5th graders and you can learn more about it during the Newscast in the Assembly (link at top of the newsletter). Here’s the list of books for this school year including a team check list. Please let us know if your child needs a team and we can help pair kids up.
Sign Up now - Two OBOB forms DUE DECEMBER18:
· Consent form (for each student)
· Team entry form (one for team, or complete for your individual student if they need a team)
· SEND THESE TWO FORMS TO NancyRylesOBOB@gmail.com
SAVE THE DATES -- DINING FOR DOLLARS:
Wednesday December, 30 - FIVE GUYS Burgers and Fries (Murray Scholls)
Wednesday, January 13 - Crumbl Cookies (Progress Ridge)
FREE BOOKS AT NANCY RYLES ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15
This month Beaverton Safe Routes to School invites everyone to participate in a Snowflake Hunt! To participate, make a snowflake and place it in a window facing the street; then go for a walk and count how many snowflakes you find. We hope this provides your family with a fun activity and a little encouragement to get outside for a walk or roll.
Click here for a snowflake making tutorial!
Make sure your Snowflake Hunt is counted in the following ways:
1. Send an email to email@example.com with the number of snowflakes you found. BSD students (or parents) please include how many students participated and what school they are from.
2. BSD elementary students can also log their miles on their Marathon Kids account. If you need information on how to set up a Marathon Kids account, contact your PE teachers, Mr. Hess and Mrs. Putnam.
OVERDUE/LOST LIBRARY BOOK NOTICES
On Monday, December 7, BSD Library Services will be emailing overdue and lost materials notices to students and their families. Please read the information carefully. If you receive a notice, please keep the following in mind:
1) If you receive a notice for books that were turned in a week or less ago, please disregard the notice. For example, if you returned books on Tuesday (12/1) they will be checked in to the system on Tuesday (12/8). The reason for this is we keep books quarantined for one week so that they may be safely circulated to the next household.
2) If you receive a notice for a book or a device that was checked out last school year, you can still return those items. You will not be charged a fine once the item is turned in if the item is not damaged.
3) You may return items to the school during Library To Go, and at Book Bus stops and Future Box stops. Also, we will have a wagon in front of the school every day until 2:00 p.m.. Items may be placed in the wagon without having to enter the building.
4) If you need to, you are still able to switch out an old district device for a new district device.
If you have any questions about the overdue and lost materials notices, please feel free to email Ms. Osborne or Mr. Chung.
AMAZON SMILE - SUPPORTING THE NRCO
The Holiday Season is upon us and Amazon has made it even easier to use AmazonSmile from your smartphone. Shop through AmazonSmile any day of the year, and Amazon will donate .5% back to your favorite non-profit or charity. Here are Step-by-Step Instructions
Click here for everything you need to know about Library to Go, The Future Box and The Book Bus!!
COLD WEATHER DOESN'T MEAN YOU NEED TO STAY INSIDE!
With the change in weather, it can be tempting to stay indoors. We know that our kids need to move every day and the extensive associated benefits of physical exercise. Here are some tips to help you build healthy (and fun!) habits into the remote school day:
- Start your day by taking a walk or a bike ride. Do you still travel to a different location for school? Then make that trip an active one! Too far to walk? Try parking halfway and walking the rest. Commit to walking or biking 2 days a week and start building those healthy habits.
- Take movement breaks in between classes or at lunch time. A brisk walk around the block will get your heart pumping and re-energize you for the rest of your day.
- Need to pick up your library holds or free lunch? Bike over to your pickup location and reap the benefits of an active trip while checking off your to-do list.
HOMEWORK HELP EVERY MONDAY, TUESDAY AND THURSDAY
Nancy Ryles Homework Club Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30-3:00 p.m.
Please join us via zoom for homework support. Mrs. Bax, Mrs. Roche and Mrs. Mastripolito will be available to help students with Seesaw assignments 3 days a week. Drop by for a quick question or stay for the entire time or pop in and say hello. We are happy to help!
Please contact the office at 503-356-2400 for the Zoom link.
SCHOOL PICTURE DAY -- RESCHEDULED
We have recheduled picture day for Thursday, January 21. More information will be sent out in January.
IMMUNIZATION EXCLUSION DATE - FEBRUARY 17, 2021
Immunization Exclusion Day is Wednesday, February 17. Earlier this month, we sent out our first notification to the students who are not up to date with their immunizations.
We encourage you to get their shots scheduled as soon as you receive this notification. Once you child has received the shot, please provide the office with the date of the immunization.
DEVICE COVERAGE FOR iPADS AND CHROMEBOOKS
If you selected device coverage protection but have not yet paid the $20 (per student/device) fee, please go to the online payment system to make your payment:
Steps for Online Payment:
2. Log In
3. Choose child
4. “Attention: . . .unpaid fines/fees” click View
5. Pay Online
If you did not select device coverage protection, please understand that the family is assuming full responsibility for any costs due to damage, loss or theft. These costs could be as much as $300 per incident, regardless of how it happens.
If you are not sure if you selected the coverage or now want to add the coverage, please call the school at 503-356-2400.
Free meals for kids are available at Nancy Ryles (and other schools) every Tuesday and Thursday from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. For additional information, including curbside and bus route locations, click on the button!
DISTANCE LEARNING RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
CDL - Comprehensive Distance Learning
Synchronous - students have live contact with their teacher (via Zoom)
Asynchronous - students access pre-recorded lectures and digital curriculum materials and respond through Seesaw and other collaborative documents at a time of their own choosing
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACTS
Nancy Ryles Twitter is: @NancyRylesElem
Nancy Ryles Facebook: Nancy Ryles Elementary School
Nancy Ryles Instagram: nancyryleselementary
The NRCO Facebook page is: facebook.com/NRCO1
We encourage you to bookmark our website as we keep it up to date.