FES Falcon Parent Update
FES is a Title I School
The FES Family will promote our S.O.A.R. core values by engaging in a supportive and collaborative learning community that nurtures and builds a foundation for lifelong success.
To SOAR means to Stay safe and ready, Own our responsibilities, Achieve our goals, and Respect self and others.
Happy New Year FES Families!
I hope you all had a restful break and got to enjoy some time with your friends and families. Please take the time to read all the information included in this newsletter to stay up to date as things change so quickly.
Although we are still virtual, CCPS continues to look at the numbers on daily basis. Our goal is to bring our little falcons back to the building in the near future. Our hope is that covid numbers will decline and we will move quickly through the recovery plan phases to get our students back in school soon, at least to phase 5 which is a blended learning environment.
Parents can help FES SOAR: Check your child's attendance and grades regularly.
1. Attendance has been a huge issue this year at FES. We usually have students attending school at 95% from September through December. We are currently at 84.5%.
Are you aware if your child is attending school regularly? Are they attending one class and dropping off the zoom on another? Our attendance rate has decreased with students missing portions of their classes during the day or not attending at all.
Here's how you can help:
- Please email notes to Emily Phillips at email@example.com if your child is too ill to attend virtual class.
- Check the Powerschool parent portal daily to see attendance updates and to make sure your child is attending school regularly.
- Or contact the school at 410-479-2761 to speak to Mrs. Phillips or your child's teacher about their attendance.
2. Wednesday Asynchronous days are counted towards attendance. You child needs to complete and hand in assignments posted in their teachers' google classroom to get counted for attendance. They have 3 days to complete the assignment. Please make sure your child completes the assignment. Simply submitting without completing the work is still an absence.
3. Grades are also posted on the powerschool portal for grades 3-5. Many students are not handing in assignments and are receiving a "DND" which means did not do. "DND" = "0" in the grade book. One issue that we see is students are submitting blank assignments. The assignment is showing that it is submitted in the google classroom but when you open the assignment up it is actually blank.
Here's How can you help?
- Please check to see if the work was completed even after your child hit the submit button.
- Teachers email students about missing assignments that can be completed to bring their grade up. Students have till the end of the quarter to submit. Check their email for reminders.
- Teachers also have office hours to help students complete assignments. Many are scheduled with students, but students are not attending.
- Did you know students can redo an assessments that received a failing score? Again, Teachers have office hours to reteach and help student redo assignments. Contact your child's teacher if your child needs additional help on an assignment.
Within the next two weeks, students will be taking the iReady mid-year assessment in reading and math. This information is critical since we have been virtual for much of the year with these grades. Encourage your child to do his/her very best on the assessment as the data from the iReady assessment will help us tailor instruction for the third and fourth quarters. Directions will be posted in your child's Google Classroom. Thank you for your support with having your child do his/her best on the assessment.
- Jan. 12: BOE Meeting 6:00
- Wednesday Jan. 13: Asynchronous Day- Students complete posted assignments in google classroom to get counted for attendance.
- Jan. 18: No School-MLK Jr. Day
- Wednesday Jan. 20: Asynchronous Day- Students complete posted assignments in google classroom to get counted for attendance.
- Jan. 21: STEAM Night 6:00-7:00
- Wednesday Jan. 27: Asynchronous Day- Students complete posted assignments in google classroom to get counted for attendance.
- Jan. 28: Early Dismissal/ End of quarter 2
- Jan. 29: No School for Students/ Teacher professional development day
FES Spirit Wear Still Available
We still have the following items for sale...
Order your FES Spirit Wear on myschoolbucks.com
Parents can also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for pick-up options.
Youth short sleeve $12.00
Youth long sleeve $16.00 each
Adult hoodies $26.00 each
Adult short sleeve $15.00 each
Virtual STEAM Night
Agenda: Jan. 21st from 6:00-7:00.
6:00 - 6:15 Media presents online coding using Scratch and Scratch Jr! (Simmons)
6:15-6:30 Music presents Quaver, an online interactive music program! (Mills)
6:30-6:45 Get ready to get moving with a fun P.E. activity! (Willoughby)
6:45-7:00 Art presents movement through art with a Flip-o-rama! (Benson)
Virtual Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/5768127746?pwd=eExMVjVLdFp3cU5pYkFhOWg2N2Ivdz09
This is a Title I funded Event.
Complete the survey at the end of the event to be entered to win a $25.00 Amazon Gift Card.
Early Dismissal Jan. 28th
Half-Day for 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th:
• 9:00 AM: Instruction begins
• 1:00 PM: Dismissal begins
Half-Day for PreK, K, and 3rd:
• 10:15 AM: Instruction begins
• 2:15 PM: Dismissal begins
Teachers will be posting in Google classrooms as well.
In these difficult times, it’s easy for misinformation to spread. The goal of CCPS is to ensure communication protocols are thorough and transparent, while protecting employee and student privacy. Please remember that we do have a process for advising those identified as close contacts of a person testing positive. These notifications are followed by an email that tells staff and families of a positive COVID-19 case in our building.
This communication process can be found on the CCPS website page Positive Case Reports. This page also includes a weekly report, by building, of any positive cases reported among staff or students. Feel free to share this page with anyone needing accurate, verified information.