Cedar Reader: PTC Edition
April 25, 2019
Si tiene alguna pregunta sobre nuestra hoja informativa y necesita la traducción en español, por favor contacte a Erica Sánchez al 503 356 2560 opción 2 para español.
All current parents and guardians of CPMS students are automatically members of the PTC. Our events, programs, school support, and enthusiasm make up this vibrant volunteer community and are indeed, POWERED BY YOU. So let's keep Cedar Park awesome!
PARENT VOICES NEEDED TO KEEP MYP AT CEDAR PARK
Beaverton School District is facing a crisis in school funding this upcoming school year. As the district has worked to balance the budget, they have proposed the elimination of the MYP program at Cedar Park.
Parent voices are essential.
Click HERE for ways to take action to keep MYP at Cedar Park.
YOUR MONEY AT WORK– Art Literacy Brings Art Deco to CPMS
Shout out to our incredible Art Lit leadership team– Jana Drotzmann, Maureen Louie, Melissa Manos, Melanie Odom, & Sally Sonek. Another thank you is due to the many volunteers who came in to help pull off this massive endeavor. Finally, a round of applause to all of our 5K donors who make these hands-on Art Lit projects possible.
Dr. A's April Principal Coffee Recap: Brace for Impact
These upcoming budget cuts are the REAL DEAL, Cedar Park. It’s only fitting that the dismal budget reality would dominate this month’s Principal Coffee.
Read on to hear the backstory, digest the possible changes at Cedar Park, and learn ways that you-- Beaverton taxpayer and parent-- can advocate for change.
- Budget Based on Governor’s Projection = $35 Million Shortfall
- The Perfect Storm: Causes of Budget Deficit
- Cuts Across the District
- Levies and Bonds = Protected Funds
- No Quick Fix
- Plot Twist
- Brace Yourself, Cedar Park
- The Bright Side
- What’s a Parent to Do?
- Other Juicy Items That Thankfully Aren’t About the Deficit
Join us for the next and final Principal Coffee on June 6 at 8:30am. This one will focus on all of our incoming families and will include the sixth grade counselor and several sixth grade teachers.
State Education Forum on Wednesday, 5/1
On May 1st, from 6:30pm-8pm, the Aloha Huber Park Parent Teacher Organization is hosting an Education Forum for all Beaverton community members looking for more information regarding the current educational reality.
Members of the public are encouraged to join the discussion, ask questions, and get more information!
The agenda includes:
- Legislative update from State Senator Mark Hass and Rep. Ken Helm
- Education update from State Deputy Superintendent, Colt Gill, and Laurie Wimmer from the Oregon Education Association
- Public Q & A
This event will take place in the Aloha Huber Cafeteria, 5000 SW 173rd Ave, Beaverton, Oregon 97007.
CPMS Art Sale & Auction Scheduled for Thursday, 5/2
Support the Cedar Park Art Program on Thursday, 5/2 from 6-7:30pm. Student art will be on display and for sale, each hand-crafted by current CPMS students.
“The students have all researched what they wanted to make and have put in their own time to try and help the future of our program,” shares Art teacher, Anthony Burton.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to own these priceless gems.
Final PTC Community Meeting Scheduled for Monday, 5/20; Incoming Families Encouraged to Attend
2019-20 Proposed Board:
- President– Bettina Jeszenszky
- Vice President– David Platt
- Secretary– Hannah Donohue
- Director of Volunteers– Jennifer Rafanan (returning)
- Treasurer– (open) Email Karen DiPietro (email@example.com) if you are interested in keeping Cedar Park awesome.
Come say one last thank you to our outgoing PTC leaders– Jana Drotzmann, Karen DiPietro, and Jennifer Kveton– and chat what worked, what didn't, and brainstorm next year's goals.
The evening will also include a welcome presentation to all incoming fifth grade families. See you then!
2019-2020 PTC Leadership Openings
Open positions include:
- 5K Co-chairs: Oversee & organize Cedar Park's fundraiser next fall
- Clothes Closet: Connect with BSD's Clothes Closet to set-up volunteer shifts for Cedar Park's day
- PACK store: Work with school admins to purchase and organize this positive behavior incentive
- Volunteer Co-coordinator: Work as liaison between staff and parents to schedule and communicate volunteer needs
- PTC Treasurer: Responsible for overseeing reimbursement of PTC funds & communicating balance sheet with Board and community
Email Karen DiPietro (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in keeping Cedar Park awesome.
SAVE THE DATE– Spring Musical Scheduled for 6/7 & 6/8
All opportunities are scheduled through the mVP system.
Hit the "Opportunities" tab and filter by "Cedar Park Middle School" to easily see sign-ups.
- Student Store (M-F, 8:45-9:15am)
- Wolf Pack Partners (9:15-9:55am, 5/9, 5/23, & 6/6)
- AVID tutors (Tues/Thurs) Email Richard_feely@beaverton.k12.or.us.
- PACK Store (Every other Thursday, 11am-1:30pm)
- Wolf Work Days (Every third Thursday, 2-4pm)
Upcoming (look for sign-up soon):
- May Staff Appreciation Taco Bar (5/23)
- 6th Grade Field trip to OMSI (Date TBD)
- 8th Grade Field Trip to OSU (Tuesday, 6/4 & Thursday, 6/6)
- 8th Grade Honors Breakfast (Tuesday, 6/11)
- Student Socials (last day of school, Friday, 6/14)
All parent and community volunteers are required to have an mVP profile.
Head to www.cedarparkptc.org/volunteering for more details.
OTHER INTERESTING BLOG POSTS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
NEVER MISS A THING. Community members can subscribe to the PTC blog at www.cedarparkptc.org/news to receive the latest news on the day it posts.
Prefer social media? Find us on Facebook.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Cedar Park Art Sale, Thursday, 5/2, 6-7:30pm
NO SCHOOL (Statewide Teacher “Day of Action”)
Final PTC Community Meeting, Monday, 5/20 @ 7pm
**Special Invite to Incoming Families
NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day), Monday, 5/27
8th Grade Field Trip to OSU
Tuesday, 6/4 & Thursday, 6/6
Final Coffee & Tea with Dr. Anderson, Thursday, 6/6 @ 8:30am
**Special Invite to Incoming Families
Cedar Park Onstage Spring Musical (Getting to Know: Footloose),
Friday, 6/7 & Saturday, 6/8
Honors Breakfast (8th grade), Tuesday, 6/11
Last Day of School, Friday, 6/14