April 16th - 20th
Earth Week is April 16th-20th
- See more information in Announcements and Green Corner section below
Monday, April 16th
- 4th grade student Music Showcase at HMS
- Dr. Kick’s April Birthday Lunch
Wednesday, April 18th
- 4th grade Transition Meeting with Aaron Dubnow (5th grade GLAD), Harper, 9 am
Thursday, April 19th
- Early Release-Parent/Teacher Conferences (11:55 1st-4th, no AM kindergarten and PM kindergarten attends 8:35-10:00 AM)
Friday, April 20th
- No School-Parent/Teacher Conferences
Monday, April 23rd
- D39 Board of Ed, MEC, 7:00 pm
Wednesday, April 25th
- 4th Grade Concert, 9:30 am
- Kindergarten Orientation, 6:30 pm
Friday, April 27th
- Arbor Day tree planting with 3rd and 4th graders
- PTO Movie Night Featuring Ferdinand, 6 pm
Tuesday, May 1st
- First day to order school supplies from Edukit
Wednesday, May 2nd
- 4th to 5th grade transition Q&A session, Highcrest Auditorium, 7 pm
Monday, May 7th
- Spring assessment window (through 5/25)
Wednesday, May 9th
- PTO Meeting, Cafeteria, 8:45 am
- PTO Luncheon, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Thursday, May 10th
- Spring Chorus Concert, 6:30-7:30 pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
- I continue to be awed and amazed by Harper students. This week, I had a student describe to me how she was collecting items to donate to an animal shelter. I also had a student that asked for my input on how he could become an educator and teach at Harper. Thank you for your partnership with creating creative, contributing and sensitive future adults.
- Parent-teacher conferences are one of many opportunities to discuss your child's academic/behavioral/social-emotional progress. We look forward to parent-teacher conferences next week to have meaningful conversations about your child's progression across all levels.
- Students who are a part of Wilmette Park District After School Recreation and students that have a sibling in PM kindergarten will be eligible for supervision on Fridays from 2:15-3:15 for the 2018-19 school year. Sign-up information will be sent in August with "back to school information".
- Information about the last day of school will be shared at the April Board of Education meeting.
- In honor of Earth Day on Sunday, April 22, the Environmental Awareness Committee has planned a variety of week long drives putting a spotlight on several issues for April 16-19. We hope students will have fun, learn and help protect our fellow creatures in what is planned. See the "Green Corner" below for more details.
- Attention all 4th grade parents! Please join us on Wednesday, May 2nd at 7pm in the HMS auditorium for a 4th to 5th grade transition question and answer session. The panel is made up of current HMS parents along with HMS Administration. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- School Kit Ordering starts Tuesday, May 1st. Don't spend your summer running around trying to find school supplies at the last minute - pre-order your child's kit and the supplies will be waiting for him/her on the first day of school! New for 2018/2019… all District 39 schools (K-8) will use a new vendor, EduKit, for school supplies. Ordering will run May 1st - May 18th for all schools. Watch for ordering information on May 1st. Questions? Contact Sara O’Hare at email@example.com.
- Attention former students of Miss Kathy Hofschield (and parents of students). Kathy is retiring at the end of this year. She has been teaching Kindergarten & 1st grade in D39 since 1991. Please consider writing a letter wishing her well with your memories of her and how she has impacted your life. Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop off at the Harper School front desk by May 15th.
- Will your child receive his/her yearbook in June? It's not too late to order...click here.
- Want to advertise your business in the Harper School Paper Directory next year? Check out the info below and contact Janelle Quick (at the bottom) to place your ad.
- At lunch, students are encouraged to go “STRAW FREE” all week to make a dent on these single use plastics which can’t be recycled.
- At recess, crafts using recycled materials will be done with the Garden and Environmental Awareness Committees in the Harper Garden.
- Have any old towels or newspapers to dispose of? Students are asked to bring in these items for animal rescue shelters.
- Students bring in any loose change and vote on a select list of endangered species. The animal with the most votes will have those funds donated.
- Arbor Day is Friday, April 27 and the 3/4 graders will be visited by the Wilmette Forestry Department. A tree will be planted on the school grounds to celebrate.
Back by popular demand...
Harper PTO Movie Night presents:
All Harper Students (K-4) are invited to come enjoy this classic tale about a gentle bull.
It going to be a TON of fun!
Join us in the auditorium:
Friday, April 27, 2017
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Little Ceasar’s Cheese/Pepperoni Pizza, Lemonade and Water will be served in the cafeteria
Sign up here by Friday, April 20th
$15 for the first child, $10 for the second, and $5 for the third.
All children must be walked into Harper for check in and picked up by an adult for check out. NO DROP OFFS.
We request that cell phones and other devices be left at home. Thanks!
Parents who volunteer at Movie Night can bring one child for FREE! Sign up here
Upcoming dates in April:
- 17th--Illustrator David Lee Csiszko visits 1st Grade
- 26th--SWANCC visits Kindergarten
- 27th--Griffin’s Tale theater group performance, K-4
- On Thursday April 26th, Kindergarteners will have the "Taking Care of Our Earth" presentation. The Solid Waste Agency of of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) will give the presentation.. Concepts include the environmental R's - Reduce - Reuse - Recycle - Respect and Responsibility. Many visual aids are used to highlight each concept. Thanks to IGNITE!
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Family Action Network (FAN)
- Thursday, April 20th- Wendy Mogel, Ph.D. "Voice Lessons for Parents: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Listen", 7PM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield.
- Tuesday, April 24th- Dan Pink #1: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing" 4PM Loyola University Chicago School of Law 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 RSVP @ www.familyactionnetwork.net #2: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing" 7PM Glen bard South High School Auditorium 23W200 Butterfield Rd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
- Wednesday, April 25th- Dan Pink #3: Grand Rounds Presentation - FREE CEUs for clinicians! "Drive: What Motivates Us" 9:00-10:30 AM New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield Register for CEUs @ www.familyactionnetwork.net #4: "When: The Science of Perfect Timing", 7PM North Shore Country Day School Auditorium 310 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka RSVP @ www.familyactionnetwork.net
- Monday, April 30th- Rachel Simmons "Enough As She Is: How to Help Girls Move Beyond Impossible Standards of Success to Live Healthy, Happy and Fulfilling Lives" Mon, April 30, 7PM Regina Dominican High School Auditorium 701 Locust Rd, Wilmette.
The New Trier Innovation & Tech Expo is a free event for parents and teachers to attend and hear about how technology is being used throughout the township. All New Trier Township schools will be participating in this joint mini-conference taking place Saturday, April 28, 2018. It will be held at New Trier Winnetka Campus, 385 Winnetka Avenue, Winnetka, IL, from 8:30am to 12pm. Registration is not required.
Centennial Classic Pro-Am Charity Tennis Tournament at Wilmette Tennis Club May 5th at 7:00 pm. Register as a player or viewer. All proceeds benefit the Wilmette Park District Scholarship Fund.
Wilmette Historical Museum & Wilmette Police Department host open houses on Sunday, May 6th at 11:00 am - 2:00 pm.
FREE Adult English Language Classes will be offered at Highcrest Middle School for 5 weeks; April 5-May 3rd.
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
Wilmette Public Library’s "One Book, Everybody Reads" featuring Amor Towles discussing his best-selling novel A Gentleman in Moscow at WJHS Auditorium April 22nd at 3:00 pm
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org