Ms. Higgins' Classroom Newsletter
Message from Ms. Higgins
Below are the Important End of the Year Dates!
Thursday, May 26th-Farm Day
June 3rd-Field Day
June 10th-Dads and Donuts (9:00-9:45)
June 15th- End of the Year Show (2:00-3:00)
Enjoy the long weekend!
Click the link to be directed to our class Twitter account! Don't have an account? Sign Up! Search for Ms. Higgins or @Mshiggskinder
This Week In Kindergarten...
Writers' Workshop-Non-Fiction Texts
We have begun our Unit on Non-Fiction Texts. We have been researching different Farm Animals to prepare for Farm Day! Check out some of our pictures below.
Students continue to read their "Just Right Books". These are books students should be able to read comfortably and independently.
Our Reading Strategies:
1. Look at the Front Cover and Pictures
2. Stories are composed of Pictures and Sentences
3. Use the Beginning Letter and Picture
4. Use the Ending Letter and Picture
5. Use ALL the letters and the pictures
6. Look for word families or special sounds (sh, ch, ing, ck, wh)
7. Looks Right, Sounds, Right, Makes Sense
*Encourage students to use one of these strategies when reading rather than giving them the word. This will help build their independence as a Reader.*
Students use RAZKids once a week. I love seeing the students' weekly reports and seeing the progress they make at home as well! If you need their Log In information, please e-mail me.