CVUSD's Communication Snapshot
Week of August 21, 2023
Communication Snapshot: Week of September 18, 2023
In this week's snapshot of information, events, news and updates - you'll find information on the following topics:
- Calendar Reminder: No School on Monday September 25th
- September is Attendance Awareness Month: How to Help Your Student Stay Engaged
- Congratulations to CVUSD's 20 National Merit Scholarship Program Semifinalists!
- Cypress Elementary Cuts the Ribbon on their New Outdoor Learning Lab
- Student Health & Wellness: CVUSD Leaders Share Expertise & Best Practices at California Department of Education Hosted Conference
- The Inclusive Classroom: Spotlight on Sammi Stewart, NPHS Adapted Physical Education Teacher and SHAPE America's 2023 National Teacher of the Year
- Event Reminder: The First Parent/Guardian Monthly Workshop of the Year "CVUSD Mental Health Supports" is Tuesday, September 19th
- Save the Date: CVUSD's "Focus on Your Future" Virtual Workshop Event for All High School Students/Families on Thursday, September 28th at 6pm
Calendar Reminder: No School Mon. Sept. 25th
September is Attendance Awareness Month: How to Help Your Student Stay Engaged
Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key role in making sure students access learning opportunities and understand why attendance is so important for success in school and beyond.
How to Help Your Student Stay Engaged
- Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
- Find out if your students feel engaged by their classes.
- Monitor your students’ academic progress and seek help from teachers when necessary.
- Stay on top of your child’s social contacts. Peer pressure can lead to skipping school, while students without many friends can feel isolated.
- Schedule non-urgent medical appointments and extended trips when school isn’t in session.
- Encourage your child to join meaningful after-school activities, including sports and clubs.
- Notice and support your students if they are showing signs of anxiety.
- Communicate with the school: Check your student’s attendance on Q to be sure that absences and tardies are not adding up. We are here to help! Please reach out if you need support.
Congratulations to the 20 CVUSD scholars announced this week as Semifinalists in the 2024 National Merit® Scholarship Program, which honors individual students who show exceptional academic ability! These 20 honorees from our Newbury Park High School, Thousand Oaks High School and Westlake High School represent less than one percent of U.S. high school seniors, including the highest-scoring entrants in each state. Click here to learn more and to see the complete list of CVUSD Semifinalists.
Cypress Elementary Cuts the Ribbon on their New Outdoor Learning Lab
The Outdoor Learning Lab will further support the newly authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme School’s IB units of inquiry in a realistic way with physical areas for students to inquire, learn and explore. The Lab is designed for students of all ages and abilities and will include: sensory tables, a garden area, amphitheater/stage with seating, a dry/wet streambed, hardscape surface and central pavers. Way to go Cubs!
Click here to learn more about Measure I.
Student Health and Wellness: CVUSD Leaders Share Expertise and Best Practices
Student health and wellness is a top priority in the CVUSD. Earlier this month, District leaders (Dr. Shanna Egans, Assistant Superintendent of Student Services, Dr. Heather Chamberlin, Director of Mental Health Services, Jennifer Mundy, Senior Mental Health Clinician and Jason Branham, Principal of Westlake High School) attended the California Department of Education's 7th Annual Student Mental Wellness Conference where they shared their expertise, presenting information on our District's Wellness Rooms and Reflective Practices.
In the fall issue of Momentum Magazine, published by SHAPE America, insights from the 2023 National Teachers of the Year are shared - including from Sammi Stewart, CVUSD's very own Adapted Physical Education Teacher and SHAPE America National Teacher of the Year. Click here (page 17) to read the complete article.
Event Reminder: "CVUSD Mental Health Supports" Workshop is Tues. September 19th
Please join CVUSD's BreakThrough Student Assistance Program and The Conejo Schools Foundation for a workshop on CVUSD Mental Health Supports tomorrow, Tuesday, September 19th from 6:00-7:00 PM at Century Academy (33 Greta Street, Thousand Oaks). This workshop will provide an overview of CVUSD mental health supports available to all students presented by the CVUSD mental health department and school counselors. We will also have Jennifer Mundy, CVUSD Senior Mental Health Clinician, present on "The Owner's Manual for the Nervous System." This workshop is designed for parents/guardians.
Save the Date: CVUSD's "Focus on Your Future" Virtual Workshop Event on Sept. 28
The Focus on Your Future Virtual Workshop event is scheduled for Thursday, September 28th starting at 6pm. All CVUSD high school students and their families are invited to attend this cost-free, virtual event that will have workshops on a wide variety of College, Career & Career Technical Education (CTE) topics.
To view previous editions of the weekly Communication Snapshot newsletter, please visit: www.conejousd.org/commsnapshots.