Secure Passwords & Account Security
Keeping your data safe
Secondary (Middle & High School) Edition
Why is a secure password important?
It is also important not to reuse passwords when you reset them. If your account was previously compromised, using the same passwords over and over again leave your account vulnerable to future attacks.
How do I create a secure password?
Here's an example of a process to create a strong, memorable password.
- Start with your favorite movie, song, food, sports team
- Add a prefix for the type of account (something to tell whether it's a school, work, personal account)
- Change at least one letter to either a number or a symbol (ex. all letter A is changed to @) or add a symbol to the beginning or end (or both)
- Add a memorable number to either the beginning or the end.
Example of how this may look ...
- My favorite sports team is the Tennessee Titans ... so I will start with Titans
- This is my school account, so I will add my school intials WMS ... WMSTitans
- I will change the letter I to the number 1 ... WMST1tans
- I will add a symbol to the beginning and end ... @WMST1tans@
- Finally, I will add the month and date of my birthday (Aug. 16) to the end but before the last symbol ...
Final password - @WMST1tans0816@
For my personal account, I might use the same process, but use "home" instead of "WMS" and change the symbols I use, so my personal accounts password might look like *HomeT1tans0816* ... my bank account may be $BankT1tans0816$
Note: if you must reset your RCS password, you cannot reuse your last 3 passwords & you must include at least 6 characters. Do NOT use your state ID if you must reset your password.
What is a VPN and why do people use them? Why would they be dangerous?
Many people download and use free VPNs from the app store. The problem with this is that nothing is really "free." If you read the fine print in the often LOOOOONNNNGGG user agreement, you will find that free VPNs may collect your data (every keystroke you make) and save it, often selling your data to other companies. So, basically, you are selling your personal data to "pay" for the VPN.
This means that they have access to every website you have visited, not to mention every username and password you enter while using the VPN!! (Have you checked your bank account while using a VPN? If so, they have your account information)
Some free VPNs have also been found to install malware or spyware on your device.
If you use a VPN while logging into your RCS Microsoft account, it will block your login!
Students should reset their password using Self-Service Password Reset (SSPR). You MUST use a STRONG password, or it will not work. SSPR must have been setup prior to the blocked message.
- You cannot use the last 3 previous passwords.
- Do NOT use your state ID.
- It must be at least 6 characters.
Use the link below to reset your password.
If you have not setup SSPR, students must contact the designated technical support person at their school. The designated support person at the school should email Tech Help.
Looking for more info on Digital Citizenship?
RCS Online Safety Resources