7th Grade Cedar Reader-New Schedule
A special edition for 7th grade students and families
¡Gran característica nueva en Smore! Haga clic en el botón Traducir en la parte superior derecha para que Smore traduzca el boletín al idioma que prefiera.
Great new feature in Smore! Click on the top right Translate button to have Smore translate the newsletter to whatever language you prefer.
Why The New Schedule?
We didn't know what we didn't know, until we knew we didn't know it. As parents, you get it. We make decisions based on what we think/know is best for our kids...and then things change...and then COVID.
Here is what we know:
- On the current schedule, 7th graders start their first Core (Humanities, math, science) class at 9:15 AM. The 6th graders do not start their first Core class until 1:25 PM.
- It's not educationally sound for 6th graders to wait until 1:25 PM to engage in Core classes. We know this based on student feedback, parent feedback, teacher feedback, and our "failure" data from quarter 1.
- Our 7th graders have at least 1 year of middle school under their belts. They know how to manage Canvas, StudentVue, and understand the academic expectations of an MYP school.
- The 7th graders are used to engaging with several teachers and several different classes and classrooms. Our 6th graders are transitioning from working with 1-2 teachers to getting to know and work with 6-8 teachers.
- 7th graders have a better (not great) understanding of how to utilize time management and planning to schedule homework during their applied learning time each day.
- As middle school students age, their sleeping patterns change. The 6th graders have the most energy and engagement in the morning, not after lunch.
- We have many students who need to engage with family and siblings after school and don't have time for hours of homework, which is when the schedule requires 6th graders to work.
- We have wanted to make this change for a while and feel the winter break allows for a smoother adjustment.
Overall, this is a minor change for the 7th graders. Their day is the same as it has been until after lunch. We have also heard from teachers that some 7th graders were ending their day when it was time for applied learning. We hope that moving the advisory class to break up the applied learning time will help them stay engaged in learning and make good use of their applied learning (homework and reading) in the afternoon.
A blank schedule template is being mailed home today. Do not fill it out. Your student's teachers will do it with them. A few groups of students will have pre-filled templates. We recommend that once it is completed, you post it near your student's work area.
ALL 7th grade students will have a schedule change beginning January 4, 2021.
New Schedule - Whole School
7th Grade Parent Q&A
Wednesday, Dec. 16th, 6:45pm
This is an online event.
Zoom session access:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 356 154 5230