News for the week of 4/20- 4/27
Update From School District 308 regarding COVID-19
As you know, the prevalence of Coronavirus COVID-19 continues to rise. At this time, the recommendations from IDPH and the CDC include directing students and school personnel to protect themselves and others by taking every day common sense actions which include correctly washing hands, staying home when sick, and properly covering a cough. Please take a look at the links provided on the district webpage for COVID-19, as they are the official sources of information from the CDC, IDPH, ISBE, and the Kendall County Health Department.
Following the statewide mandate from Governor Pritzker: all schools are closed through the end of the School year, May 21st, 2020.
- E-Learning opportunities are shared with all students to use during the time schools are closed.
- Many resources for food, personal care items, transportation, and more have formed in our community. We are tracking those resources and have them listed here.
- The state has indicated that the days schools were closed due to COVID-19 concerns will NOT be made up.
- Many things are changing at a rapid pace, please check back here often for updates. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
- This situation could cause anxiety in students, this resource may assist you in talking to children about COVID-19.
Remote Learning at SD 308
Under the direction of the Governor and the Illinois State Board of Education, Illinois schools are operating on a remote learning model.
We appreciate your patience as we all learn this new system together!
Follow this link to the SD308 Remote Learning Webpage for additional resources and information.
With the unfortunate news that the remainder of the school year will be finished through Remote Learning, the Plank administrative team is working closely with the SD 308 district office staff to put plans in place to conclude the school year. There are many questions that have been posed to me regarding picking up materials from school, recognition night, 8th grade activities, and 6th grade step up events. At this time, we are planning how we can deliver these in a way that is meaningful for students, but also maintains the safety and well-being of students, families, and staff. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we try to work through these questions. We will communicate with families once we have solidified our plans moving forward.
The staff at Plank Junior High is committed to serving the students and parents of the surrounding community. We want to provide multiple opportunities for students to showcase their talents, and grow as young adults through academics and social emotional learning. Our focus is to prepare our students to be ready for college and future careers. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me and we can work together to find solutions. I can be reached at 630-551-9400 and firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to collaborating with you and your student throughout the year.
Always in partnership,
Plank Junior High School
E-learning Expectations Plank Students
At the beginning of the year, families and students signed the Internet Acceptable Use Agreement. This agreement includes appropriate use of district technology, servers, and equipment. The language of this agreement can be found in the first section of your child's planner, and it is also linked here to review.
We have some basic expectations for students during this time away:
1. Check in with your teachers on Google Classroom. They have assigned work for you while we are out of school. This is how teachers are maintaining attendance. You will also find any "Live" invitations in Google Classroom.
2. Try to participate in a "Live" event, if offered by your teacher, or email your teacher with questions. These will be shared to you by your teachers through Google Classroom.
3. If you are in a "Live" event, be respectful. You are using school appropriate language and text. This is part of our Acceptable Use Policy and School Code of Conduct.
4. Plank students should meet with their teachers only. Outside visitors aren't allowed in our building, and they aren't allowed in "Live" events.
5. Plank students need to login through the school student ID account. This will allow you to have your work submitted and counted through Google Classroom.
We are continuing to learn to use Google Classroom, Google Hangout Meets, and other components of e-learning. Please be patient with us while we refine our processes. Thank you!
Supporting Students and Families
The Student Services team at Plank has compiled a list of valuable resources for families to use. These resources are available to all of our families. There are two forms that can be completed to help out in this time away from school.
One form is for students. Fill out the student support form here.
One form is for families. Fill out the family support form here.
To visit our Student Services resources Page, please click here.
Parent Portal in Tyler SIS
Our new student information system is Tyler SIS. This is taking the place of eSchool. Log into the link below if you are looking for updated grades, information, attendance, and the features of the former e School Home Access. Watch for updates on how parents can use the Portal on our website and in upcoming newsletters.
Tyler Parent Portal