Otsego High School
Weekly Newsletter (S2 WEEK 9)
Click the link to see the most up to date Data and Information on COVID-19 in our school district.
From the Desk of Mr. O'Shea
Heading into Spring! Lot's of Planning going on...
Spring is traditionally a very busy time here at the high school. Awards Ceremonies, Prom, Graduation, and more. We are committed to having all these events. Plans for all of this are in the works. I promise that the second things become finalized we will communicate everything.
Like last year, however, there are decisions and guidelines that we are waiting on to be released before we finalize our activities and plans. Please remain patient with us as we work through all of this.
Discussions and Plans are currently happening around FFA Banquet, Spring Band and Choir Concerts, FFA Banquet, Awards Night, Prom, and Graduation. Dates and times for these events as well as communication about what these events will look like and who can attend will be coming soon. Stay tuned.
I hope everyone has a great weekend. It's looking like it should be a beautiful one weather-wise. Get outside and enjoy some fresh air.
#OneHeartbeat Go, Knights!
Senior Class Picture
Pop Tab Drive
Calamity Day Information/Planning
We have currently missed 7 days of school because of the weather. We have ONE blizzard bag day left. The next calamity day we have it will be a blizzard bag.
If we miss 2 calamity days from now until March 19th, we will MAKE UP a student day on Monday, March 22nd. As of now, March 22nd is a no-student day, but if we miss 2 days from now until then this will become a student day.
After March 19th - If we miss any calamity days after March 19th, we will make the days up virtually. We will communicate this with your students but the day will be virtual. They will have work to complete ON the calamity day and will due when they return. The principals will get more information out to you, but I wanted to give everyone the heads up that we will make the days up virtually.
I hope that we do not miss any more days, but you never know. Thank you for your continued flexibility this year! We appreciate it more than you will ever know.
Parents & Stuents,
Ohio Means Jobs is offering a FREE Virtual Career Premiere on Wednesday, March 10th.
This will provide anyone interested to look at organizations and career pathways you may wish to consider. It will also address questions and offer guidance about specific career fields.
It's divided into 5 Career Clusters.
- Medical Careers
- Information & Digital Technology
- Construction & Skilled Trades
*More information about these are clusters are included in the link below.
There will be three separate sessions.
- 9am - 10:15am
- 10:30am - 11:45am
- 12:30pm - 1:45pm
If you would like to attend any of these sessions I will have a room available for you to log in and attend. I have attached the sign-up link below. Please TAKE A LOOK and sign up if you are interested.
February Students of the Month
On average, over 65,000 students participate in the Test program annually. Through a number of judging levels in the state of Ohio to select Post, County, and District winners, the initial field of 65,000 students is narrowed to 84 district winners, whose winning test papers are submitted to a State Judging Committee for this program.
Congrats to the following students for Earning Top District Honors on the Americanism Test whose scores have gone onto the state level to be judged.
Americanism Test (con't)
From the field of 84 District winners, the State Judging Committee selects 18 winners in the following categories:
- Grade 12 (Seniors): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
- Grade 11 (Juniors): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
- Grade 10 (Sophomores): Six (6) State winners/three (3) men and three (3) women
The State Award from the Ohio American Legion for the 18 State winners is a five (5) day, all expenses paid trip to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. under the direction of the Department Americanism Director, accompanied by representatives of the Ohio American Legion and Ohio American Legion Auxiliary.
We are happy to announce and Congratulate Ellyana Zeller for being selected as ONE of the 18 State Winners. To be clear, Ellyana was one of the top scorers of over 65,000 students who participated in the Americanism Test and has won the trip to Washington DC and Gettysburg. WOW! This is the 6th Otsego Student to earn this, (Erika Putnam won the trip just two years ago). We are so proud of you.
Parking Spot Raffle
The raffle will run from March 1st – March 5th (Next Monday – Friday)
- Donations through Venmo option, as well as cash at the school.
- There will be two raffles with one winner each. The first winner will have the parking spot for the rest of the 2020-2021 school year, beginning on March 8th. The second winner will receive the parking spot for the entire 2021-2022 school year. Both winners will be drawn on Friday.
- Tickets will be sold for $2 each or a bundle of 3 tickets for $5.
- Students, Teachers, & Parents are ALL allowed to participate in this raffle.
When we are notified of a student or staff member that has tested positive for Covid-19 we immediately begin contact tracing to determine who was "in close contact" (within 6 ft for longer than 15 minutes) with the infected individual.
- We speak with classroom teachers and look at classroom and bus seating charts and talk to any coaches or advisors if they are involved in other school activities.
- Once we have the list of students in "close contact" we begin contacting parents and printing letters to notify them that their student will need to quarantine. These phone calls will be from administrators or nurses. The letter will specify the start and end date of the quarantine and the date that they will be able to return to school. Parents will be asked to come and get their child from school and the letter will be given to you. We will also email you a digital copy. Student Quarantine Letter SAMPLE - CLICK HERE.
- Then we will email a written notification to all parents/guardians of any student that was in a classroom with the individual that tested positive but was NOT "in close contact." These students will NOT need to quarantine. Classroom Contact Notification Letter SAMPLE - CLICK HERE
- Finally we will update our Covid-19 Dashboard and post a written letter that there was a positive case in the High School. HS Confirmed Case Letter SAMPLE - CLICK HERE
Mask Up, Back Up, & Wash Up.
Mask Up! Students and staff will be required to wear a mask this year at all times while in the building. This video link demonstrates how students should wear their masks at school.
Back Up! The following video illustrates the social distancing expectations for students at the bottle filling stations, restrooms, and in the lunch lines.
Wash Up. Students will be sanitizing their hands every time they enter a classroom and exit. This video demonstrates what this will look like in the High School.
Wash Up! This video demonstrates how students will sanitize their desks at the end of each class before they leave.
Third annual, Dayton founded Kids and Community Scholarship . Winners will receive a $5,000 scholarship to attend an accredited U.S. college or university. They will select a maximum of six recipients this year. Please follow the link to learn more about our scholarship and application details.
Click here to access applications to many local & community scholarships. These receive far fewer applicants than the national & statewide scholarships do. As we receive new ones, they will be added to the file. Email Mrs. Clark with Questions.
Slater & Zurz Law Firm Scholarship
Since 2018, our company has started a scholarship program for high school seniors and college undergraduate students in the state of Ohio.
I wanted to let you know that the 2021 scholarship will be in the amount of $5,000 and will be awarded to the winning applicant in May 2021.
The details of the scholarship are well described on this page: https://slaterzurz.com/scholarship/\
THE WEEK in PICTURES
100% Online Students
From the Shield Staff (yearbook)
Seniors, check your email history from Mrs. Bowers for a link to the Google Form to get your senior quote included in the yearbook!
Also Bring in those kindergarten photos!
Three Star National Chapter
Led by seven officers: President Abby Gase, Vice President Collin Britton, Secretary Macey Thomas, Treasurer Cade Limes, Reporter Courtney Reyome, Sentinel Savannah Hernandez, and Student Adviser Cale Green; The Otsego FFA Chapter has been named a Three Star NATIONAL Chapter. Congrats to Mrs. Ayers and all the members of our FFA.
Online Bus Route Information
If you have any questions about transportation please direct them towards our transportation director, Eva Vasher, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Service Department
Communication with the High School
1. High School Website CLICK HERE The Otsego High School website will more effectively highlight what is important to us and the community. We keep the high school site updated with pictures, news articles, and other important information regarding the district and the building.
2. Twitter (follow @otsegohsoffice @OtsegoAthletics or @KosheaOHS)
Tom Ferdig - Dean of Students/HS Athletic Director
Jen Wronkovich-Clark - School Counselor (Grades 10-12)
Deputy Brian Ruckstuhl - School Resource Officer
The Otsego High School and Junior High School student dress code supports equitable educational access and is written in a manner that does not reinforce stereotypes.
The purpose is to create a positive culture with clear expectations every day, everywhere.
Information regarding how we train and prepare to handle situations that threaten the safety of our students and staff as well as protect your children to minimize the harm an outside threat could cause should they come to our school.