Issue 23 May 2015
The Power of Professional Learning Communities
2015-2016 Updated Curriculum Documents
Leadership Cadre Representatives and Point People for 2015-2016
Edutopia recently released an article providing perspective on why we all need math. How is your campus fostering an environment that students see the reason why we need to learn math?
Math Summer Professional learning Opportunities
Collaboration with Region 10. We will be offering sessions on Building conceptual fluency and Math Stations. If you have teachers attending one of these sessions, they will need to register with the Region and Eduphoria.
- July 13th- Math Stations in Action ( K-2)
- July 14th- Building Conceptual Fluency (3-5)
- July 15th- Math Stations in Action ( 3-5)
- July 16th- Building Conceptual Fluency (K-2)
- Problem Solving is not a Problem ( K-5)
- Angles, lines and Rays…..Oh My( 4 & 5th)
- TEMI update
- ThinkThrough Math
- Navigating through Go Math
- Taking Go Math to the next level
Upcoming Assessment Windows
- K-2 EOY TEMI testing window opens on April 27th. Data needs to be in Aware by May 15th
- K-5 Q4 Assessment window opens on May 18th. Data needs to be in Aware by June 4th.
3 Remaining “Cookies & Crit” opportunities this year
- Monday, May 4th at Eddins
- Monday, May 18th at Glen Oaks
Teachers from ELM campuses may attend any of the above sessions even if it is not their home campus.
Summer ELM SUMMIT
- August 5th, Check the blue arrows in Eduphoria for courses
Observation, investigation and recording skills should be evident right now as 1st and 2nd grade are studying Life Cycles through chicks, ants and butterflies and Kinder is sorting and identifying animal parts and movements of their classroom fish.
5th Grade- Optional Crape Myrtle Project- in conjunction with the tree delivery from Crape Myrtle Trails, students are given the opportunity to demonstrate how the Science TEKS they’ve mastered this year can be applied to McKinney’s Crape Myrtles. Campus winners’ names due to Keir by May 11th. Students will be recognized at the May 26th School Board Meeting and projects will be on display.
Summer Science PD Offerings:
- Properties of Matter (hardest to teach, hardest to learns TEKS) https://eduphoria.mckinneyisd.net/wshop/default.aspx?cid=11507
- Changes in Matter (hardest to teach, hardest to learns TEKS) https://eduphoria.mckinneyisd.net/wshop/default.aspx?cid=11508
- Fusion –Dig Deeper into our adopted Science resource to find meaningful activities for TEKS mastery, DIYs and classroom workshops
- OI’s 1&2 for all grades Science/Social Studies
- Vocabulary Magic- Amazing, easy strategies for vocabulary acquisition
Spring Point People Google Forms
We received productive feedback from the Point People Google Forms surveys. This information will help guide some of our discussions this summer during our Science and Social Studies curriculum design time.
Summer Social Studies Professional Learning During E3 August 4-6:
- OI 1 and 2 for Science and Social Studies in K-3
- Sneak Peek into Q1 for 4th and 5th grades
- Mastering Social Studies TEKS through Literature K-2
- Mastering Social Studies TEKS through Literature 3-5
- Maps 101 Webinar with representative from Maps 101
- Training on new resources from our IMA
4th Grade DA 3 window-May 15-June 4
5th Grade DA 3 window-May 1-May 22
Spring Point People Meetings:
All K-5 Point People meetings for spring were held in a virtual format. Point people were asked to complete a survey to move our work forward in ELAR for next year.
Thanks to all those who completed the following surveys!
Grades K-2: http://goo.gl/forms/nr7Vj4tfek
Grades 3-5: http://goo.gl/forms/2BO0p5Al2W
Upcoming District Assessments for Quarter 4:
Grade 3: DA4 Writing ONLY
- Testing Window: May 18th - June 4th
Grade 5: DA4 Writing ONLY
- Testing Window: May 18th- June 4th
End of Year (EOY) DRA2:
- Who needs to provide data into Aware? Grades K-2
- What is the due date to have all data into Aware? The district due date is Friday, May 22
- When can teachers begin inputting their data into Aware? The student inventory for DRA2 will be open on Wednesday, May 20
- What is our goal adding DRA2 data into Aware? Having data to review trends in grade levels, student groups, etc. will certainly assist as we aim at strategic interventions with students now and in the future.
- When will directions be sent to instructional coaches and K-2 teachers? An EOY direction page will be sent this week to ICs and designated teachers.
- Many campuses are prepping for the summer Kinder Screener. Be on the watch for information coming this week, via email, about Kinder Screener (ELAR & Math).
End of Year THANKS!:
- Thank you for doing your BEST this year. Thank you for taking risks, pushing forward, and smiling through challenges. Thank you for encouraging others to do the same!
- Here’s to being on ONE TEAM and having ONE GOAL!
- Watch and SHARE the PEP TALK to end our year with making it the best one yet! https://youtu.be/l-gQLqv9f4o
Join me on Twitter @ mona_rsavage