Connecting you to information & opportunities (9/15/2021)
Welcome to the 2021-22 school year! We hope this newsletter finds you safe and healthy. College application season is upon us, so this edition of our newsletter will highlight information and resources for our district seniors and their families.
Also in this edition of the newsletter, you'll find:
- IPR: Friday, 9/17
- Know Your Resources (all grades)
- Seniors: College and Financial Aid Updates
- Resources and Opportunities for Families
Know Your Resources!
Important Reminders for Seniors
Everything seniors need to have a successful college application and financial aid experience. Be sure to check out the spreadsheet tabs for step-by-step application guides!
Pace yourself and ensure you don’t miss a deadline!
- California State University (CSU) – Application opens October 1 and deadline to apply is November 30
- University of California (UC) – Deadline to apply is November 30
- Common Application – Most private, some out-of-state public and some international colleges/universities (deadlines vary)
- Other college applications – Check college websites for application and deadlines
- SAT/ACT – NUHS is a testing site for upcoming exams
District Scholarship Application & FAFSA
- NJUHSD will continue to partner with Going Merry to bring our students and families the best scholarship program and FAFSA support.
- 2022 FAFSA opens 10/1/2021 (VIRTUAL ON-DEMAND PARENT FINANCIAL AID INFO. SESSION COMING ON OCT. 1)
- Scholarship presentations have been made at all school sites in senior English classes, seniors will work with the NJUHSD Scholarship coordinator throughout the fall semester to complete scholarship application and the FAFSA
- Scholarship launch for local scholarships will be 10/1/2021
- Scholarship applications are due by 12/19/2021
- For more information please check our webpage: Click Here
Sierra College Info Night!
The Sierra College Outreach team welcomes you to attend an informational session (9/21, 10/19 and 11/16) about resources, programs, and services offered at Sierra, including clearly defined description of the enrollment steps and dates and deadlines to enroll at the college. There will also be discussion regarding the College in High School program (dual enrollment). RSVP required
UC Campus Fall Events for Prospective Students
Campuses may offer a range of virtual opportunities, including college fairs, appointments, admissions sessions, tours, and videos on admission, housing, and/or financial aid and scholarships. Some will be hosted in-person, while others will be offered virtually. Programming for counselors, students, and families will be available.
UC Berkeley: Open House October 9; programming throughout September and October
UC Davis: Open House October 4-29; programming for counselors, families and students offered throughout the fall quarter
UC Irvine: Preview Week October 11-15 (Virtual)
UCLA: Open House September 25-30 (Virtual)
Merced: Programming available throughout September, October, and November
UC Riverside: Discover UCR November 1-4 (Virtual)
UC San Diego: Fall Showcase October 2; Programming available throughout September, October, and November
UC Santa Barbara: Programming throughout October and November
Santa Cruz: Programming throughout September, October, and November
Virtual College Fairs
CLICK TO REGISTER! Students will have an unparalleled chance to explore their college options. More than 600 colleges and universities will be accessible at virtualcollegefairs.org to offer live and interactive Zoom sessions and to connect. Students everywhere can log in, drop in, and ask questions.
Resources & Opportunities for Families
Suicide Prevention Town Hall
Suicide is preventable.
Know the signs.
September is suicide prevention and recovery month. This event will still feature the same great panel of local leaders on suicide prevention and take place virtually via Zoom with moderator Pascale Fusshoeller from YubaNet on Thursday, September 30 from 6-7:30pm. To register for the virtual Zoom event, visit https://bit.ly/NevCoSPTH2021.
Yuba River Cleanup
NEO Fall Programs Begin September 27!
This month's theme is "Find Your Groove." Taking time to settle in to the new school year will help you get organized, stay on task and feel less stressed. Use the beginning of this school year to make meaningful connections with peers and teachers, set a schedule, make good habits and find a healthy balance between schoolwork and play.
NEO has plenty of activities to choose from this fall, including their High School and Jr. High groups, a ceramics workshop, and our new homework help drop-in day!
Fire Season - Resources for Families
This can be a stressful time of year for many in our beautiful county. Please know that there is help available if/when you need it. Whether you’re seeking shelter, food, mental health services or current information, 211 Connecting Point can assist.